Saturday, April 24, 2010

Blog Your Run Challenge


I decided to complete Diane's "Blog Your Run Challenge" today, since it was such gorgeous weather - perfect for running and for taking pictures. It was a great opportunity to take my camera along on a long run. I needed to do 12 kilometers...


Just like many of my runs, this one started out with a walking warmup - taking my youngest son to his confirmation group meeting this morning...

we enjoy seeing all the spring flowers - some of the little front gardens are so bright and cheerful...









Once I got Felix dropped off, I started out on my run - first passing by a bakery (yum)...


Then a little Buddhist temple in someone's front garden....




Then I headed direction Pellenberg, up a big hill and out into the country...




Here you can see the downtown of our city in the distance and the Abbey of Vlierbeek closer up...






Here is the Abbey's old farmhouse...



Can you spot the three runners in the distance (just above the horse)?




then out to the lake where I used to do all my long runs...today I ran three loops around it without stopping (it is 1.4 kilometers around)


I couldn't resist taking a picture of the geese who are always "playing soccer"...





I passed by Katrien who was just setting out tables at the Frietpleintje...
our neighborhood "frituur" and our favorite place to get Belgian frites! (I just realized this run started and ended with food - how appropriate for me!)



And finally made it....HOME! Sometimes that is the best part of the run! I ended up doing 12.4 kilometers total in 90 minutes (a bit slower than usual due to taking all those pictures!)
I love this route all around the area we live in - it is a great route that I change up however I want depending on how far or how hilly I want to run and there is always something to see.

Thanks to Diane for the great idea!

11 comments:

Diane said...

Thank You so much for doing this! I can't tell you how much I thoroughly enjoyed seeing your photos, what a beautiful run. I don't know how I could ever make it past the pastry shops, my goodness they look scrumptious!

I'm going to post an entry where I will link everyone's BLOG MY RUN up on my blog. That way we'll have one common place to come back to and can easily find and see everyone's runs. I think it will be so fun to see.

Thanks again for posting your amazing run. Have a great weekend!

Marcelle said...

Great to see your route. I cant participate in this challenge as I post my route daily...I did a 11.5km run today....

Fran said...

Love it! It's great to see where someone else is running. Funny thing is that I took pictures of my route this afternoon too only I went by bike. I had to do a recovery run of 20 minutes which can be replaced by biking or swimming so I biked.

It's beautiful up there Amy.

ajh said...

This was a great idea!

Cindy said...

I would make sure I had some Euros in my pocket and the bakery would be my last stop. I'm thinking maybe that strawberry tart.
Loved the pictures!

Fran said...

The weather is definitely beautiful! I'll join you with a glass of white wine later tonight. Bought two boxes of great Italian wines this week.

Cheers!

J said...

I love it!! Great pictures, it feels like I was just there...

You are closing in on your big race now!

Lori said...

Love it! It's so nice sometimes to just enjoy the scenery you are running through, isn't it?

Running for Me said...

Wow!! It is beautiful where you live! I love the pictures you have shared. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend.

Anne said...

What a great idea! Great pictures...what a beautiful run.

Carrie (Carrie on Vegan) said...

Loved seeing the photos of places around you! Thanks for sharing.