Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Albuquerque NM - Palm Springs CA


Because of the time change we have been getting up really early, which makes it easy to get a workout in. On Monday we were at the hotel's little workout room by 5:10 and we both ran 3 miles on the treadmill and then did a few resistance exercises with the weights. Then we did laundry, had breakfast and headed west. Our first stop after getting into Arizona was the Petrified Forest National Park, which was fascinating. Not only the beautiful petrified wood, but also the painted desert, the old ruins of pueblos, and petroglyphs (ancient drawings on stone) were there to see.

Then we pressed on to Sedona, arriving just in time for the gorgeous sunset on the red rocks - amazing. We stopped in town for a fabulous dinner at Rene's, where I had at least three vegetarian/vegan main courses to choose from - what a treat! I decided to be decadent and chose the Seitan and Tofu Wellington, which was delicious with a glass of Pinot Grigio from Oregon - mmmmm. I was glad I had worked out in the morning, I felt I had earned the right to enjoy such a yummy dinner.

Our next hotel was in downtown Phoenix. We got there well after dark, so were unable to discover how pleasant and new the city was until the next morning. First thing we did, though, was hit the gym at 6 am, which was a real treat, since hotel guests were allowed to use a full service health club adjacent to the hotel. We both nabbed treadmills and did 3 miles again. After showers and breakfasts, we headed to the Heard Museum, which has an incredible collection of Native American art, historical artefacts and history. I loved it.

For lunch, we had a special place we wanted to try - the Pane Bianco eatery, which is owned by the Pizzeria Bianco people - you may have seen them on Oprah a year or two ago when Gayle was reporting on the best pizzas in America, and they were one of them. Unfortunately the pizza place doesn't serve lunch, but Pane does, where the bread for the sandwiches is made with the same dough as the pizza crust, and they serve their own homemade mozzarella. Yum!

Then it was time to move west again, into the desert for the trip over to California. The desert is beautiful in a barren and desolate sort of way, I am amazed by the long stretches of just nothing, nothing, nothing. We arrived in Palm Springs, found our hotel and relaxed outside in the warm evening air with a few glasses of wine. This morning, up early AGAIN, mom and I decided to take our workout outside and did four miles, all the while enjoying the beautiful vistas of mountains in the distance and the palms and cactuses close by.

3 comments:

J said...

What a pretty sunrise run! I am glad to hear you are all having a good time.

Sarah Kathryn said...

What a wonderful trip! I love traveling vicariously through you!

Fran said...

I love your trip, seems to me you're having so much fun!