Monday, October 3, 2011

15 K Breda Race Report


Thanks to Fran, I discovered a great race in Breda! I would have never done this if we hadn't decided to find a race to do together and I have to say, this was the best crowd support I have ever seen! Our bibs had our names on them and I felt like a rock star - people were yelling "Come on, Amy, keep going!" There were bands all along the way, the residents of the town had their lawn chairs set up on their front stoops and were handing out water, sponges, and spraying runners with garden hoses.

Which was necessary, because it ended up, as we feared, being quite hot. Our plan was to go easy, take regular walking breaks, and have a good time together. Neither one of us was concerned about a time goal, so we started out easy.

Now, I have mentioned before that European races don't have many slow runners - most people who actually sign up for races are very fast. So quite quickly we were at the back of the pack and before long, we had the man on the bike following us, because we were last. I didn't mind, though, because it was like having our own personal escort, and the two of us were getting a lot of encouraging cheers from the spectators - "Come on ladies! Good job!" and Fran's personal favorite: "Only a little bit more to go, now!" ;-)

I was feeling okay but I could tell Fran was having a hard time with the heat. I felt bad for her because I knew she was working very hard to keep going, and I really admired her for not giving up. We passed the first 5K marker at about 38 minutes which I thought was encouraging.

Then the man on the bike came up next to us and told us that if we didn't make it to the halfway point in under one hour, they would not let us continue on to complete the race. I am glad he told us this, because we didn't know there was a cut-off, and it enabled us to make a decision together about what to do. I looked at Fran, and she looked at me. What should we do? We were trying to do the math in our heads, based on what the Garmin was telling us, and Fran thought it would be really hard for her to make it. She already had one of those nasty heat headaches and was starting to feel dizzy. "Can you do it?" she asked me. I said I thought I could, and she told me I should go on then, and she would wait for me at the finish. "Are you sure?" I asked. "Yes! Go!" So I said okay, and headed off with the man on the bike following me now.

I felt slightly panicked because suddenly I wasn't doing a fun race with my friend anymore but I had a deadline - cross the halfway point, which was still 2.5 km away before the cutoff time. The man on the bike was a bit confused about how much time I had - first he told me 8 minutes, which made me stop and turn back to Fran again, saying there is no way I can do this in 8 minutes! But Fran's math was much better than the man on the bike, because she said, no you have 18 minutes! So the man checked with the race people via his walkie talkie and yes, I did have 18 minutes. Okay, so I headed off once again, waving goodbye to Fran again.

I felt bad leaving her behind but I decided I was going to do my best to make it. The man on the bike stayed right next to me until we go to the next runner, a lady in a white shirt. He told me he was going to stay with her now, and wished me good luck. I thanked him - if he hadn't spoken up when he did, we would have had no clue about the cutoff time.

After that, I was coming up to the halfway point - which was right next to the finish line in the very center of town. I couldn't believe how many people were there to spectate and support the runners! Did I already mention I felt like a rock star? Wow! It was so great! And of course, once I got through the halfway point I felt relieved, but also kind of bummed - I still had the entire loop to repeat and this time on my own. But I settled into a comfortable pace and started picking off runners who had passed us before - the lady in the pink socks, the older man with the blue shirt...

Thankfully there was a lot of shade on the course and I was doing okay with the heat. Luckily I had brought gels with me, because while there was tons of water on the course there was no sports drink, so I started to feel I really needed to take a gel at about 1 hour. There was this very nice family all set up in front of their lovely house and one of the kids was holding out a glass of water as I ran up. "Is this for me?" I said, and came to a full stop, got my gel out, and took it while the whole family looked on kind of amazed. Then I drank the water, thanked them, and continued on my way.

My feet were starting to hurt and I was getting one of those heat headaches by the end. I took a few walking breaks so I would feel good enough to run in through the huge crowd at the end. Which I did, enjoying it all the way! I totally get why people want to be a rock star - hearing a crowd scream your name is awesome! I was so glad to cross the finish line - I clocked in at 1:41, made it through the chute, and when I came out, there was Fran, waiting for me!

We hung out for a while together, got a good spot in the shade and watched the half marathoners run through the town (that's why there was a cut-off time - they had a half marathon that started 90 minutes after the 15K)and talked. That was the best part of the day for me.

Fran ended up finishing the first loop of the race at her own pace, and I was proud of her for doing that - it took a lot of guts to keep going knowing they were going to make you stop when you got to the halfway point. And I am so grateful to her for encouraging me to go on, for waiting for me until the end, and for treating me to a Coke when I felt like I was going to throw up after I finished!

Thanks Fran! One day soon we are going to do another race together - but not on such a hot day!

16 comments:

Char said...

Sounds like really tough conditions for you out there. I hate running in the heat! And not to be able to finish with Fran was tough too - but if she was feeling bad before halfway, it was the right decision.

Liz said...

Shame for your friend, but well done to you! I would not have wanted to race in the hot wether yesterday, it has been boiling!

Ewa said...

Sorry about the heat but hurray for the spectator support. I try to avoid running when it is hot at all cost though last week that mid-day in 90F temps was the only time I could run and it was murder.
Interesting that European races are so fast. I wonder if slower people are too intimidated to participate, or what?
Congrats on a strong finish in such lousy weather.

Fran said...

Thank you my dear friend for sticking with me while I was having so much trouble going on. It was the right thing to do that you continued, you could finish, I couldn't.

I enjoyed doing this with you and yes we'll do it again but not anymore in this heat. I decided yesterday next time I will cancel, it's not worth it and I know one day I'll end up lying on the street because I fainted.

Thanks again for a great time, you're the best. Love you!

Kim said...

Good for you for toughing it out and for being able to discuss it all with Fran and decide what to do. I am surprised that had such a short cut off time, even with the HM behind you! And in that heat too! I am sorry you didn't get to finish together, but it sounds like it was really a great race. I love it when people come out, not only to cheer, but to really be supportive as well! Congrats on your race! :)

Anne said...

Congrats Amy...you really did great pushing through in that heat. Sorry that Fran had to stop, but she was smart to listen to her body. Very cool that she was there when you finished so that you could enjoy the post-race together :)

Marcelle said...

Well done Amy...its good you ran ahead, I also did when my partner needed to go slower due to the heat, so understand...

Darlene said...

Congrats!!! You need to run in the US. You would not be last or even close to last.

Lori said...

Bravo Amy! I can't believe they have a cut off over there!

You do need to race over here in the US. There are a lot of races that let in walkers. You would medal for sure!

ajh said...

It sounds like you had a lot of fun with Fran. Great job in the heat. I am glad there are lots of slow runners here.

reginag said...

Fantastic information! I enjoyed reading it!
mangoF

Johann said...

Well done! You really rocked that second loop. Heat can be terrible, you did very well Amy.

Giorgio said...

Congrats on your 15 km Breda race!
I really enjoyed reading your detailed race report!

Sorry that Fran had to stop and you didn't enjoy the post-race together!

J said...

Congrats on a great race! I am glad you had such a positive experience, that is what it is all about!!

Karin said...

Congratulations Amy for a great race. The race sounds spectacular with all the spectators. I am very sorry Fran didn't make it due to the heat. It is hard to run in the heat. I don't understand why European races are in the afternoons. In the U.S. our races are in the mornings, and they usually start 7:30 or 8:00am. We have many go through our neighborhood, and it is fun to watch all the runners and cheer them on.

Anonymous said...

You did a very good run despite the tough conditions. Sorry for Fran.
You are right about the races in Europe, the pack is too fast.
Now here in Italy, we usually have the cut-off times at half way. In the 30 km of yesterday it was for the runners with the 7'00"/km pace: I totally disagree!!!! Running races must be fun not a nightmare to be in time to finish the race.