Monday, October 31, 2011

Wildlife Rescue


This morning my son noticed something black entangled in his soccer goal netting at the back of our garden. So I went out to see what is was, thinking it was a dead bird or something. As I got closer I saw it was a young hedgehog, all twisted up in the netting and he was still alive! So I called Felix and we both got heavy work gloves on and a pair of scissors and tried to figure out how we were going to get the little guy loose. In the end we had to make three cuts in what we will now be calling the "hedgehog trap" to release the little guy. He must have been exhausted because he didn't struggle at all. Once he was free it took him about ten minutes to recover before he waddled off to the back of the garden, and his home under our compost heap. What a relief!
It's another gorgeous morning here and so I think I will go get a run in when it warms up a bit. My kids are on vacation all week long and tomorrow my two youngest boys have a big badminton tournament to go to, which means a long day on those notoriously uncomfortable bleachers!
Yesterday Stefaan and I ran to the Finnish Track and did a few rounds there, so we didn't do as long of a run as we normally do. My hip feels better today, so it might just be a question of making sure I don't overdo it for a while.

8 comments:

Fran said...

Funny, last week I was walking Bella late at night when she saw and heard something. It was a hedgehog too and I had to keep Bella away from it so it could continue it's way in peace.

We had to put a bird to rest Saturday that was lying dead on our terrace.

Giorgio said...

Good job with the hedgehog :) They are protected by European environmental law.

Have nice runs!

Mark said...

Nice Save! That little guy would have been doomed if you hadn't spotted and then freed him.

We saw a hedgehog and petted him when we went to "Sparklebration" on July 4th over in Dade City, FL.

Have you ever thought that some of the verification words are creepy, like "they" know what is being written about - the word below is "brairreb" which is awfully close to Br'er Rabbit who made it seem like he was going to get stuck but really didn't. Weird.

Char said...

How cute. I'll bet it made you feel all warm and fuzzy to rescue that little fella.

Enjoy your badminton tournament. Take a cushion.

Kim said...

So happy you helped him and that he is okay! :) You have such a kind heart :)

I hope your hip feels better soon :)

Lori said...

Neat to see a hedgehog in real life! Around here you just see them as pets.

ajh said...

Bleachers can be a real pain for sure! Hope the weather cooperates.

Anonymous said...

You made a wonderful thing. The animals are an important part of our life.