While we were standing on the corner of a this little side street with another side street, consulting our map and deciding which way to go, an empty Mercedes with a horse trailer hitched to it suddenly rolled across the intersection and right into the house on the other side of the street! We were stunned. There was no one else around, so we finally decided to go notify one of the policemen who were standing around in the center of the town for the bike race. When we had done that and came back, there were some neighbors out and they seemed to know who the car belonged to. It seems the brakes on the car must have given out, and it simply rolled away...later we realized how lucky we were - engrossed in our map I don't think we would have seen or heard it in time if it would have been aimed at us, and we probably would have been hit.
Anyhow, we walked for a good two hours, through fields, little wooded areas, paths that weaved us through little rural neighborhoods. Along the way we stopped for galloping horses and racing cyclists hurtling down a 17% grade hill at 90 km an hour - quite impressive! We were hot and thirsty and so glad when we got back to the town center and could sit in the shade and drink a well-deserved Hoegaarden! Boy, did that taste good!

Yesterday morning Linda and I headed out bright and early for a free guided tour of our city's Botanical Garden (picture right). It's a lovely place - we have always gone here to take the photographs for all of my kids' first communions and confirmations - but I never visited it as a tourist before! It was interesting and I learned a lot - and enjoyed the morning sunshine and chance to catch up with my friend. Thankfully there weren't any runaway cars, galloping horses, or flying cyclists - I don't think I could handle so much excitement two days in a row!
5 comments:
Well that definitely was an exciting Saturday for you. I think I would be so flabbergasted (hate that word but can't think of anything else) that I don't know if I would have gone for that hike. I think I would go for the beer immediately :)
The garden sure looks beautiful.
Wow, what are the chances of being right there when the car just rolled on? Luckily no one was injured. Botanical gardens are of my very favorite places to visit. We have some beautiful ones here in SA.
Glad that you didn't get into the troubles because of the empty Mercedes and .... the fast bikers.
I love the botanic gardens, here we have one of them in the ancient thermal baths built by the roman (indeed he was spanish) emperor Traiano.
That was a really eventful walk!
The picture of the botanical gardens is just beautiful. I love all the flowers. Our gardens here often don't have the flowers because it gets so hot in Summer so the plants are mostly shrubs and trees.
I love being a tourist in my own area.
Post a Comment