Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Out for a spin

We did not do a ton of shopping while we were in the States last month (except for a wild two hours at Urban Outfitters in Salt Lake City) but I did treat myself to a new pair of running shoes, a snazzy looking pair of Nike Free Run 2 in this gorgeous teal blue and gray. 

I've never thought minimalist shoes were anything for me but my sister convinced me to try them on.  OMG - they were so comfortable!  And very light - almost like wearing a well fitted slipper.  I had to get them. 

I wore them a ton during our trip.  They were comfortable in the car, for short walks, driving, and on the elliptical in the hotel gym they were perfect.  I was so in love with my new shoes that during a rain storm in Jackson Hole I took them off and walked across a busy downtown street barefoot rather than get them wet! 

But...I hadn't run with them yet.  I was kind of intimidated.  They feel so light and, well...free!  I am used to big clunky running shoes that protect you from all the shocks and bumps of running, and give you a little bounce in your step.  With these, the bounce was going to have to come from me or not at all.

So yesterday all I wanted to do was a short run and I decided it was time to try them out.  I convinced my youngest son to come along with me, so it ended up being an interval run (intervals like this: "Okay, Felix, we'll run to the next intersection.  Stop and wait for me when you get there, and then we'll walk for a few minutes together before we run again (and you get ahead of me again)!")

I put my darling shoes on and off we went.  We only did 4 kilometers but already I could feel that my Frees were never going to replace my classic Asics on longer jaunts - I really do need the support, I could feel it.  But I still love my new Frees and they will be awesome for in the gym...and everywhere else!

8 comments:

Fran said...

They look nice.

I'm afraid to try the minimalistic shoes too. I need good running shoes as I'm an overpronator.

You will give your shoes good use on everything else I'm sure.

Johann said...

They are nice but certainly not for high mileage. I still believe many people will end up with injury by running the wrong distances in minimalist shoes.

Kim said...

Do you think they would be good for shorter runs/speed workouts? I would love to try a lighter weight shoe someday! :)

Amy said...

I don't know, Kim - even just 4 km seemed like a bit too much for these shoes. I could see using them for a HIIT run on the treadmill, though.

Liz said...

They do look great! I like my heels to feel stable and well supported too...

Char said...

I don't know that I'll be getting on board the minimalist train either. I haven't had too many injuries with the shoes I'm wearing so I figure if it aint broke why bother fixing it. But they look really nice as casual shoes.

Darlene said...

I'm afraid to go minimalist as well.

Giorgio said...

Nice shoes, I think they are useful for short run.