Monday, October 8, 2012

An interesting Sunday...and a small world encounter


Yesterday afternoon my middle son Gillis and I biked over to the the university's mechanical engineering department for an open house they were having for "Open Bedrijvendag" which is an annual event where companies open their doors to the public. (And yes, the castle above is part of the campus!)

We were especially interested in this badminton robot that was recently developed by one of the spin off companies of the department. It was pretty cool to see it in action (check out the video below) but Gillis was a bit too shy to try it out for himself (and there were a ton of little kids waiting in line).


We saw a lot of other interesting high tech machines. Seeing a 3-D printer in action and really understanding how it works was awesome. I had heard about this on the radio last year and I just couldn't wrap my mind around how it worked. I think Gillis enjoyed the chance he got to direct a human sized robot they are developing to help people who are handicapped or immobile. I would have taken pictures but I didn't want to embarrass him!

Finally, one of the doctoral students was explaining one of the other machines to us. He was from India so we were speaking English with him. He said we didn't sound like we were from Belgium, so I told him I was originally from the US. He said he had lived in the US as well, so of course I asked where. "Urbana-Champaign" he replied! I had to laugh and tell him I also went to the University of Illinois, ages and ages ago. It sure is a small world, isn't it? We both agreed the U of I was a great place to go to school...but Leuven is pretty awesome too! And that hit home as we biked back through the really pretty part of the engineering campus and I realized how lucky I am to live here.

6 comments:

Johann said...

Sounds like a really interesting open day visit. I love days like that! The world is smaller than we think :)

Char said...

I thought my university was beautiful but yours makes mine look like the ugly step sister. Having a castle as part of the campus is amazing.

Two of my sons have chosen engineering as their career. It's such a broad subject.

Fran said...

Sounds like a fun day. And yes, sometimes the world is really small.

Darlene said...

Hi!

I am really enjoying your blog!

I’ve been nominated for Liebster Award and wanted to pay it forward by nominating your blog for one too!

The Rules:
1. Each person must post 11 things about themselves.
2. Answer the 11 questions the person giving the award has set for you.
3. Create 11 questions for the people you will be giving the award to.
4. Choose 11 people to award and send them a link to your post. Go to their page and tell them.
5. No tag backs.

Happy blogging!

Joy said...

Yay for the U of I!! Such an amazing encounter, and such a wonderful day for Gillis. And, yes, you do live in an awesome place.

Amy said...

I know - go Illini, right? :-)
I think C-U is also pretty darn awesome...except maybe for the winters...