Tuesday, July 8, 2014

A special visitor, a special place

My niece, Maddie, is visiting us this month!  It's her first big European trip on her own.

This weekend we took her to the Groot Begijnhof (Beguinage) here in Leuven.  It's a neat place, like a tiny city within a city, founded in the 13th century as a community for unmarried, widowed or temporarily single (when their husbands went on crusades) Catholic women (but not nuns).  They had everything they needed within the walls of the city.  Quite a feminist idea for those times!

These days, the houses have all been renovated by the university and are used for housing for students and visiting professors.

9 comments:

Liz said...

Wow, nice history to that place! Looks like you live in a really pretty area. :)

Kim said...

How cool that she is visiting and her first major trip by herself!

That place sounds really neat! I wonder if they renovated much of the interiors for the college housing. It would be fun to live in a place with a history like that!

Char said...

That's such a quaint idea. Having all the unattached women living together. I can imagine that it was quite the hot-bed of gossip way back when. And all those women living together! Must have been an interesting place when their periods synched and they all had PMS at the same time.

Fran said...

That looks like a great place to visit and how much fun for you that your niece was visiting.

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful and historical place! If I were to visit your town, I would like to go there
I'm sure that your niece, Maddie, enjoyed visiting that interesting leauven's landmark.

P.S.: I was sorry to see the Belgian soccer team who lost the match agaist Argentina at the 2014World cup in Brazil ... because I'd like to watch Belgian vs Netherlands as semifinal this evening ... instead of Argentina vs Netherlands :)


Johann said...

That is really interesting. I'm watching the Tour De France and love seeing Europe. One day I'll visit...

Amy said...

Giorigio, thank you - Fran and I both felt the same way! So sorry the Netherlands lost, too. What a bummer. Hopefully Germany will beat them for us!

Fran said...

Oops that's a sensitive subject Amy :) Germany isn't that popular in Holland when it comes to soccer :)

Have to be honest that I'd rather lost this game than a final against Germany who will be world champion I think.

Anonymous said...

I hope to visit that beautiful place in october. Glad she came to visit you and your family from USA.