Friday, September 12, 2014

Life is like a box of chocolates...

...you never know what you're going to get.

Remember that line from the movie "Forrest Gump"?

That really describes how things have been around here lately.

My parents-in-law were planning a big party to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary and as one of the gifts my sister-in-law arranged a photo shoot with a photographer, which was unexpectedly a lot of fun for us all.  The party itself went really well - a good time was had by all and it was so nice to see some of my husband's cousins we normally never see.

Tomorrow, I leave for a week in Venice!  This was also unexpected - I'll be looking after the 18-month-old daughter of a friend of mine who has to do research in an archive there.  She was having a hard time finding child care and asked me if I would consider flying down and helping her out for a week.  I've never been to Venice so it will be exciting and I am hoping to get out for lots of walks with little Anastasia to see different parts of the city.

Then, in October, my husband and I are going to Japan for a week!  This was my husband's idea to celebrate our 20th anniversary (which was two years ago - ha ha!) and he kind of sprung it on me early this summer.  I've been quite anxious about the whole idea (especially leaving my kids on their own while being so far away, which they think is great, of course) but as it's coming closer, I am starting to get really excited about it.

Finally, I even surprised myself and finished the Matt Roberts 12 week workout program I mentioned I was doing way back in May, I think.  I did take off four weeks while my niece was visiting us in July, but after she left I got right back on it and ended up doing all but 8 of the 84 days of the entire program.  The program was hard, and there were some workouts I really dreaded (like swimming) but I did it.  I lost some weight and had to part with some clothes that got too baggy, but the best thing is how good I am feeling physically right now - all set to take on looking after a toddler for a week, right?

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Exciting times! Enjoy your upcoming trips!

Char said...

Babysitting in Venice sounds like a pretty nice job. In fact, doing anything in Venice sounds pretty nice. And follow that with a child-free trip to Japan. I'd say the rest of the year is looking really good.

Giorgio said...

What a beautiful way to celebrate your 20th anniversary! I've have never been to Japan.

So glad to hear you have planned to visit Venice in October. I'm sure you'll have a good time there. On the one hand, It seems that Venice is the most expensive town in Italy, but it isn't always the case. On the other hand, its building and landmarks are absolutely stunning.

Best wishes to your parents-in-law for their 50th wedding anniversary.

Liz said...

Wow, Venice sounds lovely. I've never been to Italy but I used to live in Japan! wherabouts are you going?

ajh said...

All kinds of traveling and losing weight! I have been to Venice but very briefly. It was part of a tour. I would celebrate my anniversary two years late if I could go to Japan. Enjoy!

Kim said...

What a great post! I love hearing all the happy things in your life! Congrats on finishing the program! I love the family pic. And am loving following the Venice pics on FB as I hopefully will be with the Japan ones...? Hee hee :)

Kim said...

What a great post! I love hearing all the happy things in your life! Congrats on finishing the program! I love the family pic. And am loving following the Venice pics on FB as I hopefully will be with the Japan ones...? Hee hee :)

Fran said...

Wow you have a few great things to look forward too. Saw the pics of Venice already on FB this weekend. And Japan sounds so interesting.

Congrats on finishing the workout program! Well done!

Enjoy your time in Venice at the moment.