Friday, May 8, 2015

Hike #12: spotting wildlife in Meerdaal Forest

Location:  Meerdaal Forest
Distance: 8.9 km
Time: 2:20
With: Kristien

We were lucky - with the storms the previous evening and the storms that were predicted for later in the day, the time we had planned to walk together was actually dry and pleasant walking weather.  We did a big route through the forest.  At one magical moment, we suddenly noticed a young deer in a sort of clearing just off the trail.  We stopped to watch, expecting her to dart away, but she simply took notice of us and then continued leisurely foraging for food.   We stood there for several minutes, watching her, and then continued on.  Very cool!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a lucky meeting. How can a hunter kill such a wonderful creature?

Giorgio said...

It seems that the young deer wasn't afraid you were there.
Absolutely stunnng! Running and walking give us the opportunity to enjoy those "magical moments".

Have a nice weekend!

ajh said...

What a wonderful picture you got.

Ewa said...

In my neighborhood in San Jose, there are a lot of deer. I like watching them but most of the time there are a nuisance getting in front of the cars, eating landscape plants. One would think I would be tired of deer but no. Every time I see them in the wild, I just stare in wonder.

Char said...

Gorgeous! It is so special to catch a glimpse of wild life in their natural habitat. Always makes me feel so blessed.

Fran said...

Wow! That is so cool!

The only "negative" thing of doing your walks with a dog that animals ran/fly away as soon as they spot her. I have been trying to capture this bird in my garden but every time I try to sneak out, Bella is behind me and the bird is off :)