Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Three races (Part 2)

My next two races took place at the University of Illinois - my Alma Mater!  The first one was a 5K on Friday night - and the best part about it was that my 13-year-old godson agreed to run with me (even if he wasn't very enthusiastic about taking a pre-race picture with his mom and godmother):




I was a little bit nervous about running with him, hoping I wouldn't be too slow and hold him back.  But he had been out of soccer with an injury for a while and assured me it would be okay.  So we set off on the fun course that went right through campus, and past all the Greek houses.  A few sorority girls were out on their lawn watching the runners and one shouted at us, "You're gorgeous!"  I looked at G and asked him if he heard what they said.  He looked puzzled for a minute, and so I told him, "They were talking about you!"  Did I mention he's gotten tall and handsome?

Then we had to run past all the bars and fast-food joints on Green Street - the food smells were killing us!  Finally we were on our way back to Memorial Stadium where the race finished right on the football field - how exciting to run in with all the lights on.  Very impressive!  G sprinted ahead of me (it's one thing to run with your godmother but another to cross the finish line with her, LOL!) and I followed shortly after - in my usual time of 35 minutes.  If nothing else, I am consistent!


Part 3 (the half marathon) coming soon...

4 comments:

Darlene said...

How cool. Glad to read about your running! Can't wait to read about #3,

Kim said...

Yay! Consistency is GOOOOOD! I can't believe he missed them saying that. I hope it stroked his ego a bit!

And I hope your HM recap includes details about the post race buffet (fingers crossed they still had it!).

Char said...

Haha, boys can be so oblivious. I've often been with one of my sons and seen girls looking at them but my boys never notice. And when you mention it to them they're like 'Huh?'

Great job on your race.

Joy said...

I hope he remains oblivious for a while yet... ;-)
Love your post, Amy! I'm going to work towards your consistency for the 5K, my next fitness goal!