Monday, December 26, 2016

Leuven Corrida 2016


I talked my youngest son, Felix, into doing this with me, and it was his first organized race event!  Thankfully it wasn't too cold this morning but there was a nasty wind and a constant drizzle of rain.  At least it wasn't pouring, right?

We walked downtown (the second best thing* about this race is that it takes place right in the center of Leuven - we can just walk to the starting line!) and bumped into our neighbor, Bram, who was volunteering:



 Felix and I were signed up for the 4K.  Maybe you remember that in 2012/2013 I had to stop running for about a year because of a persistent hip injury that turned out to be high hamstring tendinosis...all that time, the one thing I wanted to be able to do again, was participate in the Corrida in my home town.  And this year, after changing my whole approach to running in particular and movement in general, I finally have been able to add running back into my life.  So it was a great feeling for me to be able to do this again, even if it was "only" the 4K distance.  Felix stuck with me the whole way and we ended up finishing together in 26 minutes.  





*And of course, the best thing about this race?  The bottle of wine they hand you after you cross the finish line!

Hope you had a very Merry Christmas, and all my best wishes for 2017!


4 comments:

Darlene said...

A bottle of wine at the finish. I want to run this race!

So cool that you got to run with your son!!

Amy said...

I know, right? Thanks, Darlene!

Kim said...

I love that Felix and you ran the whole thing together! And that they gave you a bottle of wine at the end. I am happy you can run again!

Amy said...

Thanks, Kim!