Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Alone Again

My first run alone in three weeks...without my black belt body guard, my pace setter coach, my Garmin tracker, or even my faithful Sunday running pal who always lets me set the agenda. I was thinking to myself: I can't do this, it's too hard, I don't WANT to run, I can't do it ALONE. Like I said in my last post, thank God I am signed up for that 10K, I swear it is the only thing that got me out on the pavement this morning.

But my big stick got me out there...and guess what?

I was fine. I CAN do it. It was even quite enjoyable, the weather has cooled down, it was overcast and there was a nice breeze. I haven't listened to my Mp3 songs in those three weeks so it was nice to hear some of them again. I ran past friends' houses, followed my familiar loop, let my thoughts flow, and it felt good. Alone can be quite okay sometimes.

Ended up doing 7.2 kilometers in 48 minutes - wonder what my coach would make of that?

5 comments:

J said...

Nice run! I think your coach would be proud... :)

Mark said...

You just have to run past the sucky part, then 99 times out of 100 you get to the rewarding part and are glad you didn't give up.
Great Job!

Lily on the Road said...

Sounds PERFECT!!

Yup, coach would have been proud!!

Sarah Kathryn said...

I know what you mean... see my post on standing myself up :) It's hard to get out there sometimes, when your "peeps" aren't out there with you.

I had to laugh at not having your black belt sister there with you - I always joke I don't have to carry mace because I have Jenny!!! She makes me feel safe - I know she can kick some serious butt if some serious butt-kicking is called for! :) It is comforting to know you have a strong capable running partner alongside you...

I'm glad you have a race on your schedule - that helps tremendously.

Amy said...

I know Kathryn, I made sure to take advantage of having my black belt around by running with her to places I would be too scared to run by myself! Maybe I am paranoid, but now it's back to routes I feel totally safe with.