Sunday, November 23, 2008

Rain, Sleet, Hail and Snow

Yesterday, we woke up to snow on the ground and thick, fluffy flakes still falling - exciting! Throughout the day we had rain, sleet, hail and more snow and it was just around freezing all day long - the warmest it got was 3°C. I was starting to think of a contingency plan (i.e. treadmill at the gym) for our Sunday run, just in case we woke up to more of the same today.

But it was dry when we got up. Cold (1°C) but no rain, sleet, hail or snow. Just a light dusting of frost on the roofs and ground. So we headed out - there were 7 loops on the schedule today. After one loop I sorely regretted not having put my long johns on under my running tights - my legs and especially my rear were painfully numb the whole time! There was one section of the lake where the wind just hit us bitterly, and I never removed my fleece gloves, hat or jacket the entire 10 km. I was so cold by the time we stopped after the 70 minutes it took us! I kept thinking, this is what it feels like for runners in Canada (but if you check out this post on Lily's blog you will see it is actually much worse!)

Everybody is predicting a long, cold winter here. I wonder if they will be right. In any case, I am looking forward to having a break from it in Florida in a few weeks! (And as I finish typing this...it has started snowing again!)

3 comments:

J said...

I know what you mean about the numb legs! Fortunately, I don't experience that very often.

Good job still getting the run in!

Bert said...

Amy, hi

Wow yes that sounds dreadfully cold to be running outside! A nice toasty 77F here this morning (late) when I went out for a short recovery run. I imagine Florida will be much closer to the 70's than to the 30's or below...

Alexandra said...

Gotta love those long johns! I haven't worn them yet running this season but it won't be long! I usually start wearing them when it hits about -10 and there is a windchill! If you are dressed warm enough, the fresh air can be great! Glad you stuck with running outside and completing your 10kkm!