Thursday, January 29, 2009

Sunny and Cold

I actually love bright sunny cold days. I had some errands to do, so decided to do them first and let the sun come out and warm things up before I got my run in. Coming home I saw it was 2°C. I was thinking of Laurel's heroic race in -26°C temperatures and thinking I was pretty lucky - compared to the conditions in Canada, Belgium is nearly tropical! I still bundled up, very grateful for the cute fleece running hat Katy gave me for Christmas. I have been wearing it not just running, but walking and biking too, since we got back.

I did a big loop around the neighborhood, 7.6 km in 55 minutes. I bumped into my neighbor Kristel, who was walking to pick up her son from school for lunch. Well, actually, I caught up to her! We walked together for a minute or two til our paths split up again.

When I got home I discovered while mapping my run on Map My Run that they have some workout calculator features, where you can figure out your pace, your calories burned, your BMI, etc for any run you map. Kind of like a Garmin, except you don't have to wear it! Pretty cool.

Then it was time to wash the windows - because the only downside to when it is bright and sunny, is that unfortunately you can see ALL THE DIRT on the windows, can't you?

3 comments:

beckiwithani said...

My first thought upon reading this was, "Sunny and cold? Nope, I don't like that." Then I realized that 2°C is about 36°F, and that's practically balmy here in the Northeastern U.S. this time of year!

So I do like sunny and cold, too ... just as long as it's your definition of "cold," and not mine. :) I love the feeling of the crisp air while the sun is shining on me. What I don't like is sunny and frigid, where I can feel all the moisture being leeched out of my skin as soon as I step out the door!

Alexandra said...

I like "sunny and cold" too! We have been having lots of "cloudy and chinooking" lately and running in that can be quite a work out!

I am enjoying the statistics my Garmin returns to me, I will have to check out Map My Run!

J said...

Your own Garmin! How cool!