I had been contemplating running at the gym today if when I woke up it looked gray and blustery, which was the prediction, along with a high temp of 0°C for the day. But Stefaan said he wanted to go with me and so when we pulled the shutters up it didn't look too bad - the sun was trying to peek out and I didn't see any wind blowing the trees. So we headed out for the lake - I had 8 rounds on my plan (11.2 km).
I added a third pair of pants over my longjohns and running tights - my long workout pants - and I think that helped a lot. And I had my running hat, my Buff, and my four layers on top. But it was cold, and the wind was blowing in across the nearly completely frozen lake (poor ducks). Amazingly I never feel the cold in my feet since I started wearing Smart Wool running socks - they are wonderful. All in all the run went well, but my right leg started to seize up towards the end, I think from the cold, and the last two loops were tough, but we got them done. Altogether (and not counting several stretching and bathroom breaks) it took us 76 minutes.
Then we came home, warmed up and showered, and I made the most delicious pot of pasta e fagioli, which has become one of my favorites this winter - it is so yummy and comforting and warming....mmmmm! I have been trying some variations on the recipe for it, but I think I finally settled on my own simple version:
1 T olive oil
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes with juice
1 t. dried rosemary
1/2 t. dried oregano
1/4 t. dried thyme
2 cans of beans, drained and rinsed (I like to use cannelini and borlotti beans)
8 cups of vegetable broth
1/4 pound of small pasta
salt and pepper
Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil over low heat in a soup pot until softened, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, herbs and beans and continue to sauté until everything is warm. Add broth and bring to a gentle boil, then let simmer for about ten minutes. Finally add the pasta, simmer until the pasta is al denté, about another 10 to 15 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with some good rustic bread to sop up the juices and enjoy!
Only four more long run Sundays before I leave for Florida - I can't wait to run in some warmer weather.
2 comments:
Great run! We actually had a cold one too. 33 Degrees for us is pretty chilly!
It's all about many layers when it is cold! It's funny how we need many layers up top to keep warm but one pair of socks does the trick!
I copied your pasta recipe. It sounds delicious!
It seems you just got back from Florida and here you go again, before you know it!
Post a Comment