Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sunny day, chasing the clouds away...

Finally some sunshine! Yay! It is so much more enjoyable to run on a sunny winter's day, than a gloomy or wet one. So I was lucky today. I did 6.3 km in 48 minutes and enjoyed it the whole way.

I've been trying some new recipes from the Bittman book I mentioned a few days ago. He repeats a "Bulgur Pilaf with Vermicelli" recipe from a previous cookbook, calling it "glorious", which intrigued me, so I tried it a couple days ago - oh my gosh - YUM! And so easy too!

I'm not going to copy his entire recipe here, but basically you sauté a chopped onion in olive oil; when it is soft, add a cup of bulghur and half a cup of vermicelli, sauté briefly, then add a generous two cups of vegetable stock. Simmer ten minutes and then let it sit, covered, another 15. That's it! And all three of my boys ate it up, which is unusual, because under normal circumstances, there is always someone who has an objection to something.

3 comments:

J said...

Glad you had a nice sunny day! That can make it so nice to go out for a run.

Hooray for a new recipe that everyone likes! I tried a new lentil soup recipe that both boys said they didn't care for too much. :(

Bert said...

Amy, hi

Sunshine here today too - what a difference that makes! I will try the bulgur pilaf recipe - it is in Bittman's 'Vegetarian' cookbook. And will also try the Chickpea cutlets in Veganomicon; I can live on chickpeas!

Alexandra said...

Yay for sunshine! We are in for a full sky of it today! Yippie!

Do you like to play tag? If so, check out my post called "They Caught Me, I Was Tagged!