A blog is a useful thing...I keep a separate exercise log where I record all my running, biking, walking, strength, etc, and how many minutes I do, plus how many kilometers I run. I like to add up all the numbers at the end of the year to see if I've improved over last year and motivate myself to do better the following year. Only there were a few runs the week before we left for Florida that I had forgotten to record, but luckily I could just look up that day in my blog and there it was!
In 2008 I recorded 13,633 minutes of exercise which came out to an average of 262 minutes per week - I go by Bob Greene's exercise levels in his "Best Life" book, and this puts me at a level 4, although many weeks I do hit a level 5. I am pretty proud of myself, considering I started out in 2007 at a level 3. This year my goal is to get more consistently into level 5, which means averaging 360 minutes or more per week.
I ran a total of 766 kilometers in 2008! This is an average of nearly 15 km a week. The year before I had a total of 697 km and an average of 13.4 per week. So I definitely bumped it up this year. My running goals for this year are to keep improving, to consistently run 15-20 km/week and to sign up for one race each season. In March I will run the Princess Half, in May I plan to do the Ladies Run 11K for the fourth time, in July perhaps Rijkevorsel again with Stefaan and the boys (?), the 10K Dwaars door Mechelen which I think is in September, and in December the Corrida 8K here in Leuven. Sounds like a plan.
Today I stepped out of my box a little and took a group class at my gym. This time of year the classes are new and so it is a good time to try them out. Also, my new training plan has a very short easy run on Tuesdays of 3-5 km, which really doesn't take very long, so I can easily combine the two. The class is called "Bodyvive" and is a combination of low impact aerobics to music and then resistance training with a ball and elastic bands for a total of an hour. I am so bad at things that involve choreographed steps and so I have always avoided those kinds of classes, but I thought it might be a good challenge for body and brain to try something that does not come easily. It was pretty challenging for me but I enjoyed it and the upside was that I had to concentrate so much that the hour flew by!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Your races for 2009 sound so exotic compared to mine! I'll be looking forward to seeing photos and reading your posts!
Good for you for stepping outside your box! I find that always learning and going beyond my comfort zone can be rewarding and keeps me interested in life!
Post a Comment