Saturday, June 26, 2010

Sunny Sporty Weekend

We are having a hot and beautiful weekend here - it feels so good to have the summer finally in full swing. I realized I haven't blogged on any work outs or running in a while - last week I got two New Rules workouts done, LOTS of biking and walking but no running. And this weekend, an old friend of ours from Taiwan will be visiting. We haven't seen her in 10 years! When she left Belgium the boys were all so little. We will have a lot of catching up to do. In an hour I have to go meet her at the train station and I am really excited!

Tonight the USA plays Ghana in the world cup and we are going to be rooting for them. And on Sunday the Belgian Cycling Championships take place in our town, Leuven! They will be racing a 14 km loop around the city - 17 times!! How's that for some serious loop action? The race starts at noon and is expected to last until about 6pm. It takes them about 20 minutes to complete one full loop. Also my favorite biker (who I have seen twice training while out for my runs), Sven Nys, will be participating, and even though he isn't expected to be in the top ranks (he is a cyclocross and mountain biker) it will still be cool to cheer for him!

We are planning to walk downtown and watch the bikers, and also show our friend how the city has changed in the last ten years. I think she will be amazed.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

4 comments:

Lori said...

Have a great weekend! I love watching pro cycle races. They go so fast!

Fran said...

Well your weekend is going to be a fantastic one!

Have fun with your friend and all the fun things you are going to do. I'll cheer for USA tonight too.

Diane said...

Hi Amy,
sounds like a fun weekend! I watched the soccer game - U.S. vs Ghana - and was disappointed with the outcome but still enjoyed the game. The lab I work in has quite an international crowd and the World Cup has become a lab obsession. Here the games are live broadcast at around 5AM to noon, so most days we watch the noon game. I'm pretty sure we aren't getting as much work done but my boss is a fan too!

Anonymous said...

Sorry for USA but they left the world cup with honour while Italy was a shame! Indeed I am a rugby supporter (and former player as wing) and I cannot stand our football players but in those moments they were "Italia" and I cannot forget this. I hope you spent a wonderful week end with your friend and enjoying the bike race.