I really didn't feel like going to the gym today but I knew I had to or I would have to re-arrange the rest of my program for the week, and seeing as I have only just started, I really didn't want to do that. So I got on my bike, reluctantly, and went.
The first part of today's workout was an interval run: 30 seconds fast, 60 seconds easy, for a total of 22.5 minutes. I haven't done intervals in a few months, but something in the book stuck in my mind: "concentrate on making the effort that you put into the work periods of 30 seconds today much harder than you would normally do for your cardio training." So I had this in mind when I started out, and I really did my best to push those 30 second intervals - and this is where training with a Garmin for the past year really helps - I have a much better idea of the different paces I tend to run, and so I knew what would be a much harder pace for me. I started out conservatively at 12 km/hr, but by the end I was doing intervals at 13.5 km/hr or 4:26 per km, which was awesome!!!
The big downside to doing the interval run first is that I look disgusting when I am done - all hot and sweaty and really red in the face. And I still had to do some weights - gaaaahhhh.... So I freshened myself up a little bit before that.
The weights didn't seem like it was going to be a big deal or difficult - it was four exercises for the upper body and I had to do four sets of each with 15-20 reps. OMG!!! My arms feel like absolute jello - it was really hard. Thank God tomorrow is an active rest day - I am going to need it.
Here's what I had to do:
- dumbbell chest press on bench: 20x 5 kg/20x 6 kg/20x 6 kg/15x 7 kg
- seated shoulder press with dumbbells 30x 3 kg/15x 4 kg/13x 4 kg/12x 4 kg
- seated row machine 20x 10 kg/18 x 10 kg/17x 10 kg/20x 10 kg
- standing upright row with dumbbells 20x 3 kg/17x 4 kg/16x 4 kg/15 x 4 kg
And thank God I don't need my arms much to bike home - if my legs had felt like this, I am not sure if I could have made it.
My eating for today looks like this:
- breakfast was a huge smoothie with flaxseed, 1/4 c soymilk, romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup pineapple and 1 apricot
- lunch was a millet/kidneybean stew with eggplants and tomato and a bit of vegan parmesan sprinkled on it, with a big salad with 2 T sanctuary dressing
- plan for dinner: my oldest son is requesting Indian food for his last dinner at home tonight (he leaves tomorrow for three weeks in Texas at my parents' house!) so I am making that chickpea and spinach curry from the BBC website and a cabbage/pea curry from Appetite for Reduction.
Phew! Now I really need to go get my shower so we can start getting him packed.
Hope you have a great day!
8 comments:
You sure lift heavey weights, very impressed.
I'm so proud of you for going to the gym even if you didn't want to. I was supposed to run this morning, alarm went off at 5.10 am, then again at 5.30, at 5.45 and at 6.00. By then it was too late to go out for a run and honestly I didn't want to go.
Your determation is realyy something I could use more these days.
Great workout Amy.
Sounds like some great workout time! The lunch menu sounds really great. Where do you get your recipes?
You are so good. I've never followed a diet in my life - I just don't have the willpower. Great job at the gym too!
Thanks guys!
I get my recipes from all over, but lately I've been really enjoying the cookbook "Appetite for Reduction", and a lot of the recipes I've mentioned lately come from there!
I had a great workout at the gym today. You always make the gym sound like a good place to be. I rarely go but you inspired me and I needed to do a workout that the gym worked better for. I had my best gym day ever and I have been going for years. How far do you bike to the gym? Do you wear the clothes you work out in? I was thinking of doing it but I am so sweaty the ride home might be pretty awful although now when it is so hot it should be okay.
Good workout!
Indian food seems interesting! I have never had it although in my town there is a big Indian restaurant.
I got tired just reading about your workout. I wonder if that counts towards my workout. :)
Seriously, you are quite an inspiration. It is so easy to skip a session when laziness strikes.
Proud of you for going to the gym, when you really didn't want too. Same thing happend to me today, but I made myself go, and I had an awesome workout, the best in weeks. Your cardio workout sounded wonderful, very challenging. I will have to give it a try. Enjoying your blog.
Post a Comment