- I had to get up at 4 am this morning to get my 16-year-old off to Brussels airport on time for his big trip to Texas, and I feel tired!
- my chest and arm muscles are really sore from yesterday!
It felt so weird to watch my son go through the security line and then wave goodbye to him, and then leave the airport without him! No, I didn't cry ;-) but I know I am going to miss him a lot the next three weeks. Thank goodness for cell phones, he has been texting me and I called him before he got on his flight to Frankfurt. I am just keeping my fingers crossed that he manages to find his way there and gets safely on his next flight to Dallas. I think I will only relax when I get the phonecall from my parents that they picked him up!
So, I think I will take a walk this morning and go pick up the newspaper - it will help me wake up and feel a bit perkier today. I also promised my two younger boys that we would go see a movie this afternoon - that will mean another good walk and hopefully NOT taking a nap during the movie - ha ha!
Florian was really happy with the Indian "feast" I made for him last night. His absolute favorite is the chickpea/spinach curry, which was a recipe I found on the BBC food website. I think I gave the link to it in a post a while back, but I changed it a bit so this time I will just give you the entire recipe, in case you want to try it. It is yummy, healthy and most importantly - very easy! Let me know if you try it!
Easy Chickpea-Spinach Curry
1 t olive oil, 1 lg onion, chopped, 2 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped, 1/2 t ground ginger, 1 t cumin, 1 t tumeric, 2 t curry powder, 1/4 t freshly ground black pepper, 1 T tomato paste, 1 med red pepper, diced, 1 can chopped tomatoes, 1 1/2 c vegetable stock, 8 oz fresh spinach, 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, 1 t garam masala
Heat the oil in a deep frying pan or stock pot with a lid. Fry the onion and garlic 3-5 minutes til softened. Add the ginger, cumin, tumeric, curry powder and black pepper and fry for an additional minute or two. Then add the tomato paste, canned tomatoes, red pepper and stock and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the spinach, chickpeas and garam masala and heat through until spinach is wilted. Enjoy!
We usually have this with rice and a salad with cucumber and orange slices, and a couple of other Indian dishes. I actually tried the Cabbage and Pea Curry from "Appetite for Reduction" as well last night and it was really, really good.
Okay, now I am off for my little walk...have a great day!
10 comments:
You're boy is growing up Amy. Taking this trip alone to his grandparents. I think I would be a bit worried too if he would find his way at Frankfurt Airport but I'm sure he will.
Seems to me you've got a great active rest day planned. Enjoy the movie with your boys.
Update: Florian made it through Frankfurt without any problems and is now on the plane to Dallas - phew - that's a big relief!
The curry sounds great! Hope your son has a great time, it must be hard to have him so far away.
Kenneth was 12 when he traveled alone to southern France through Heathrow. I was a nervous wreck especially when he did not call from France till the day after he arrived. He was surprised I worried. KIDS!
I a way I am glad I won't be reading your posts when I am on the trail. Your yummy recipes would make me choke on my dehydrated mashed up food.
Funny, I just kissed my kid goodbye for a month at O'Hare two days ago. Must be going around. It's not easy to let them go, but the experience is so important for them....big hugs to you, dear.
I know how you feel! My girls finally came home last night. It is weird to watch them disappear through security. He will have a great trip!
Bravo to your son for taking such a big trip!
That recipe is pretty much a palak chole, which is one of my favorite dishes. Yum!
I hope you have gotten the call that your son is safe and there.
I have a hard time quite often not falling asleep in the movies!
I laughed when you mentioned sleeping through the movie. I've been there and done that. In fact I totally missed one of the Pirates of the Caribbean movie. I hope I didn't snore or dribble.
Thanks for posting the recipe, I have made it before and really delicious. Of course I like anything with chickpeas!! Glad to hear Florian made it Dallas safely!
Post a Comment