Friday, July 29, 2011

My *ss is gr*ss

OMG. Killer workout. I'm back to doing my Matt Roberts program and today was tough. I kind of brought it upon myself, though, by doing the weight circuits first and the cardio second. I had (to me) really good reasons for doing this, however:
  • when I do cardio first I get really sweaty and disgusting looking and hate looking at myself in those mirrors when doing my weights afterwards, so I prefer to do weights first while I am still "fresh"
  • if I get to the gym when it opens and do my weights first, the weight room is really quiet and I can get things done before more people arrive, and then retreat to the comfort zone of the treadmill as things get busier

Makes sense, right? Maybe not. Today's weights were four sets of each of the following exercises:

  • dumbbell chest press 15x
  • pec flyes 15x
  • seated rows 12x
  • biceps curls 15x
  • squat/overhead press combo 15x
  • stationary lunges 15x
  • hyperextensions 20-30x (this is like a superman)
  • step-ups 20x per leg!!! aaarrggghhh

This took me 55 minutes to complete and my legs were shot - and then I still had to do 30 minutes running on the treadmill, not to mention bike home. Help!

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it but I just told myself this was good practice for when you are running a race and your legs are really tired but you still have another half hour to go before you cross the finish line. So I put some good music on my Ipod, loud enough so I wouldn't hear my feet slapping on the mill and got going at a slow pace. It was hard. I took walk breaks. But I did it. And actually, after 20 minutes, things seemed a little bit easier. But man, was I glad when it was done. And I then I biked home - really really slow!

I may just have to reconsider my bright idea of doing the weights first...

9 comments:

Cindy said...

Good job. I'm sore this morning from yesterdays class and I have boot camp today.

Johann said...

Well done for doing it all! I do weight and core exercises 3 x per week after my shorter runs. I'm not sure if that is the best time but it works the best that way to fit into my schedule.

Anne said...

Haha! I like your reason for doing the weights first :) Good job getting it done no matter in what order!

Fran said...

Well done Amy, absolutely great job by pushing through.

I've read somewhere what would be the best to do: weights first or cardio but I can't remember where and why.

I think you have to do what works best for you which you did.

Have a great weekend my friend!

Marcelle said...

You sure had a tough workout..well done...such a nice feeling when one is finished but not while you doing it.
It is best to do weights first and cardio 2nd...

Bert said...

That is one heavy duty workout, 4 sets - now wonder you are exhausted. I also prefer to do weights before cardio!

Char said...

I knew there was a good reason not to do weights.

Ewa said...

You are one tough lady.
I don't like running and then doing weights; I feel like I have to scrub machines or benches after I use them. Yuck!
You should have called a cab home. :)

Amy said...

I did actually think of calling my husband to drive down with the car and then have him bike home so I could drive home in the car - ha ha!