We are finally having a few days of real summer weather here, and as always, I try to take advantage of it. But I did have to get into the gym for some weights and the elliptical, but not matter - I biked there and enjoyed the sunshine. It was hot at the gym but not terrible and I got a good workout in.
Then I had a couple of books on reserve at the library downtown, so after lunch I walked there and back, and then got involved reading one of them (Siri Hustvedt's "The Shaking Woman" - very intriguing) this afternoon on my patio. It was so peaceful and someone was practicing a musical instrument (oboe? clarinet? I wasn't sure what it was) and it sounded so nice.
Now my boys are back home - the two youngest are fooling around with water balloons and the oldest has a CD playing - a Belgian group called Triggerfinger - great music but not exactly what you'd call "relaxing". So now it's time to stop chilling out and start thinking about making dinner...
Yesterday I made the yummiest recipe with some leftover Lentil Taco Filling (a favorite recipe from Runner's World - the only change I made was to reduce the oil) - I took some cabbage leaves, put a spoonful of the taco filling in and rolled them up, and then steamed them in my steamer til the leaves were tender and the filling was warm. It was so good!
Here is the recipe for the filling:
1 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup brown lentils, dry
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup water or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons dried black currants or raisins, minced
1 cup salsa
In a large frying pan over medium heat, sauted onions, celery, and garlic in the olive oil for five minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in the lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for one minute. Add the broth and raisins. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender (add more water or broth as needed). Remove the lid and cook an additional 10 minutes (until lentils are thick), stirring often. Fold in the salsa.
Can then be used in traditional tacos with all the usual fixings, or other Mexican dishes, or to fill cabbage leaves, as I did, or to top a salad... be creative! It freezes really well too. I think next time I am going to make a double batch.
Originally published 11/03/2006 in Runner's World Magazine - enjoy!
Then I had a couple of books on reserve at the library downtown, so after lunch I walked there and back, and then got involved reading one of them (Siri Hustvedt's "The Shaking Woman" - very intriguing) this afternoon on my patio. It was so peaceful and someone was practicing a musical instrument (oboe? clarinet? I wasn't sure what it was) and it sounded so nice.
Now my boys are back home - the two youngest are fooling around with water balloons and the oldest has a CD playing - a Belgian group called Triggerfinger - great music but not exactly what you'd call "relaxing". So now it's time to stop chilling out and start thinking about making dinner...
Yesterday I made the yummiest recipe with some leftover Lentil Taco Filling (a favorite recipe from Runner's World - the only change I made was to reduce the oil) - I took some cabbage leaves, put a spoonful of the taco filling in and rolled them up, and then steamed them in my steamer til the leaves were tender and the filling was warm. It was so good!
Here is the recipe for the filling:
1 cup onions, diced
1/4 cup celery, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 cup brown lentils, dry
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 cup water or vegetable broth
3 tablespoons dried black currants or raisins, minced
1 cup salsa
In a large frying pan over medium heat, sauted onions, celery, and garlic in the olive oil for five minutes or until vegetables are soft. Stir in the lentils, chili powder, cumin, and oregano. Cook for one minute. Add the broth and raisins. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, or until the lentils are tender (add more water or broth as needed). Remove the lid and cook an additional 10 minutes (until lentils are thick), stirring often. Fold in the salsa.
Can then be used in traditional tacos with all the usual fixings, or other Mexican dishes, or to fill cabbage leaves, as I did, or to top a salad... be creative! It freezes really well too. I think next time I am going to make a double batch.
Originally published 11/03/2006 in Runner's World Magazine - enjoy!
7 comments:
That sounds yummy!
That sounds like a great recipe, I'm always looking for good vegetarian main dishes, thanks!
Sounds delicious - we just had taco salad the other day, too. Isa Chandra's recipe, maybe? It's one of those things I carry the recipe in my head for now :) Thanks for the tip about the Ravel. We've been thinking about checking one of them out sometime soon.
I had to remind myself for a moment what season you were in because we've had a few days that have felt a little summery.
My kids have had quite a range of taste in music. Some is great but some is what I call 'angry boy' music - loud, angry-sounding and not a lot of tune. I'm not a big fan.
Isn't it lovely weather these days: not too hot, sunshine, perfect for me.
I look forward to some relaxing with a book this weekend too in my garden. Gotta enjoy this while it lasts.
How can you read a book while someone is playing a musical instrument? :)
I'm sure that's a good vegetarian recipe. In Summer I always need lentils which contain iron.
Have a relaxing time!
Thanks, I will be trying this recipe for sure!
Post a Comment