Monday, October 22, 2012

Enjoying Indian Summer

 
We spent the weekend in Lanaken, in the Limburg area of Belgium.   The weather has been just gorgeous and we signed up for an "Indian Summer Hike" at the only national park in Belgium, the Hoge Kempen.  It turned out to be a very enjoyable afternoon and the highlight for me were all the different wild mushrooms our guide pointed out for us, especially the "vliegenzwam" or "Fly amanita", pictured above and below.  I had never seen one of these in real life, and suddenly we were passing dozens of them!  They actually start out white, but as they mature, the white peels off to reveal the bright red underneath.  Very cool!

 
The part of the forest we walked through was filled with tall trees, and lots of falling leaves:
 
 
 The next day we visited Oud Rekem, which was voted the most charming village in Flanders.  It was definitely a very cute little town filled with lots of history (and for a short time, three silly teenagers):


 
It was a fun weekend in a special place!

8 comments:

Giorgio said...

What a nice historical village ... I love visiting such old places around Europe.
The third photo shows a path to be walked through a particular forest.

Kim said...

Those mushrooms are so cool! Are they edible? They look like something from Mario Brothers. LOL.

Char said...

Those are the sort of mushrooms that you see in kids' story books. I didn't realise that they were real. I'd probably assumed that they weren't because in the books they usually had a fairy perched on the top.

Looks like a really nice weekend.

ajh said...

Those mushrooms are unreal. Where is the fairy?
The whole trip looks fun.

Fran said...

Looks like a very nice weekend Amy. I have seen vliegenzwammen for real when I was a kid but haven't seen them much the last couple of years. The only thing is missing is the gnoom :)

jeremy said...

Excellent place. So beautiful!

carpet cleaning scottsdale

Johann said...

Those mushrooms are beautiful! I would love to see them in real life. Great time together in a great place.

Liz said...

No Indain summer for us, as it's been raining since September! I love the look of those toadstools! Like a picture in a children's book.