Sunday, October 13, 2013

Italian-Belgian Blog Friend Meet-Up!

I've been blogging for seven years now, and I've been very lucky to find a group of lovely, like-minded fellow bloggers all over the world, who really feel like friends.   As Andrea recently mentioned on her blog, the frequency of posting and commenting seems to ebb and flow as people's lives naturally evolve, but the warm feelings for blog friends remain.

And so I was tickled when the blogger you all know as the Black Knight contacted me to say he'd be in Belgium for work and hoped to meet up.  I've only ever had the chance to meet up with one other blog friend, Fran - we actually got together twice and one of them was for a race in 2011 - but it was such a neat experience,  I was very much looking forward to meeting Stefano.

As things eventually worked out, I met up with Stefano (and his colleague who helpfully took our picture) at the airport a few hours before their flight back to Rome.

The funny thing about meeting a blog friend, and I had the same experience when I met Fran, is that you feel like you know so much about the person, having read their blog posts over the years, and yet, they are also a stranger to you in many ways.  But you quickly get over that as you start to talk about common ground - which with Stefano and me was running with injuries (or not running with injuries in my case), kids, grandkids, travelling, and politics.   Stefano in person is just like he comes across in his blog - intelligent, kind and funny.  And a very dedicated runner.  I'm so glad we got to meet!

14 comments:

Darlene said...

How cool!

Liz said...

I've never met a blogger like that but I have met up with people from a running forum. You're right - it was a little awkward for about 1 minute, then really friendly and fun!

Unknown said...

Hi Amy! I think that bloggers who are very "into" their writing come across with the same personality. That's very cool that you could meet up. So far, I've not met up with anyone who blogs. :D

ajh said...

That is wonderful that you met the Black Knight! I don't think people who don't blog get the feeling you get from your blogging friends. You really do feel like you know them. Glad you got to meet another blogger!

Fran said...

How cool you got to meet Stefano!

I have warm memories of our meets too. Maybe we should try to get together somewhere next year again? Since we are both into walking right now: maybe we can do a long walk together instead of run a race?
Can't believe it's been 2 years already that we met.

Amy said...

Fran, I would love to get together again for a long walk - that is a great idea!

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much for everything. It was very very nice to meet you. I hope that the next time we will be able to run together.

Char said...

That's so awesome that you got to meet up. I've had one bloggy meet-up and it felt exactly like you'd described.

Kim said...

Yay! Meeting bloggers is the best! And it is such an interesting dynamic - you know a lot, but there is still a lot you have to learn!

Johann said...

Lucky you! I would love to meet Stefano! We communicate often and I really hope one day I can make it to your side of the world.

Amy said...

We'd love to see you here in Europe, Johann!

Giorgio said...

I knew that Stefano went to your country for work last week. He told me about the meeting.
I met a blogger friend once in 2007Strewth from Camberra, when she and her husband and two friends visited Rome.
I'd like to meet other blogger friends.
Great post and nice words about our blogging community, Amy!

Raina said...

Hi! I am new to your blog, but am familiar with Stefano! How fortunate that you were able to meet him. He is one of my favorite bloggers.
I've had the chance to meet a few bloggers, but only in my home state. You are right- they are very much like their blogs portray them, but with some hidden jewels to discover.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

What a fun experience! I've met a few blogging friends in person and it was a great experience.