The past two weeks at the gym, I've been able to do something I haven't done in an entire year: run. And it really is like riding a bike - you don't forget how to do it, your body remembers. And even though I was a bit apprehensive, it went well. I did two short interval runs. Last week was a first try, just 15 minutes, and very slow running broken up with equal amounts of fast walking. Yesterday, I did 20 minutes, 3 minutes of running, faster than last week, alternated with 2 minutes of fast walking. And no hip pain so far.
Last year, I was in excruciating leg and hip pain, and on the advice of my osteopath, I stopped running. She said I could walk, swim, bike, use the elliptical, stretch, do upper body weights, and even do yoga if I was careful not to do any extreme stretches with my lower body. I just needed to give my body a break from running.
So I did all these things but I really missed running. I missed the stress relief, the feeling of exhilaration during a good run on a warm day, and the way it kept my weight stable. I struggled to replace running with other activities, which just didn't seem to give me the same kick (or calorie burn). It was depressing but I kept trying to focus on what I could do and I kept going to the gym, getting long walks in on the weekend which used to be reserved for long runs.
I kept listening to my osteopath and my body. After a few months of no running, I suddenly realized the chronic hip pain I had been dealing with for years, was much better, almost non-existent. That was such a great feeling. But I knew I had to be careful. So I waited.
There won't be any more half marathons in my future, that I know. The training required for long distances is not healthy for my body (and I make no judgement on anyone else's exercise routine here - if there is one thing I'm sure of, it's that we all have to figure out what exercise works best for our own body, and because we are all different, that varies hugely from person to person). But what I hope for right now is that I can incorporate a bit of enjoyable running into the rest of the things I do each week to keep my body healthy.
If there's one thing I've learned this past year, it's been to expand my repertoire of enjoyable exercise. I don't think I would have ever signed up for the long distance walking event I did with my friend last spring had it not been for all of this. But I'm happy I can carefully add in a bit of running again now. I'll start with the interval run once a week and listen for what my hip tells me about it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
Good for you.
A little is so much better than nothing at all.
There's a man in my running squad who had a knee replacement and can only run short distances a couple of times a week and I know he's grateful to be able to do any running. I know when I was sick I was happy to be able to run just a little because there's no other exercise quite as exhilarating.
Hi Amy, Well, some people are convinced that running needs to involve many miles, while I am not. I recently read a medical article that people who run a little mostly help their joints, while people who run a lot, in general, harm their joints. I jog about half a mile with my dog Keebler about 3 times per week. So that is about 1.5 miles of jogging per week, not in a row. I do not call myself a "runner," but I do a bit of running and it think this amount is beneficial to me. This amount has not bothered my quirky knee (that used to have a LOT of pain in my 30's) at all. My friends who do or used to run many miles advised me to *not* go running a bunch of miles if it wasn't important to me because the risk, with my knee, would not be worth the potential payback, since I am in good shape from other types of exercises. So it's all food for thought.
I am SO GLAD(!!!) that you are feeling so much better than your previous pain. That is really something to celebrate. :D
I am so happy for you. Enjoy what you can do. No more half-marathons? No problem, relaxing workouts and some short popular race.
I've had to cut way back on my distance over the past several years due to a problem with my knee. I'm now trying out the galloway method which seems more knee friendly. Whatever keeps us healthy! It's just a matter of finding what works for you and that you enjoy. :-)
How wonderful that you can run some again which you really wanted to do. But also how wonderful that you found other forms of exercise that you liked. I wouldn't be doing triathlons if I hadn't been injured and you know how happy those make me. Those long walking events fascinate me.
I am so happy to hear that you are able to run again painfree. Especially if you love it so much.
At first it felt for me, like you had to run at least a half marathon if you run. But distance doesn't make one a runner. Putting on your shoes and go regularly makes you a runner. I don't know if I ever will run a half marathon but definitely not next year when I will focues on shorter distances.
Happy running Amy, so happy for you!
That is awesome that you can run again without any pain. You were so smart to find some other things that you were able to enjoy while allowing your body to heal.
What great news that you can add in a bit of running now! And I hope you are super proud of you for trying out all those other activities while you couldn't run - I think a lot of people would just stop working out (okay, I know I have in the past). It's so great that you can run a bit now and that your hips feels so much better!
I am also getting same feel. Thanks for sharing useful information. Web Design Company Bangalore
That is really a great news! So glad to know your hips feels so better and you are back running short distances. Since 2011 I haven't been running a half marathon and I have been enjoying 5 km races. As you know, my friend Stefano, who can't run long distances, have been enjoyng short distances. Enjoy!
Happy to read of your progress! Just be careful and really, if ANYTHING at all hurts . . . STOP! You are doing it the right way. So happy for you! Take care.
RETA@ http://evenhaazer.blogspot.com
Post a Comment