Sunday, April 10, 2016

16K Trail Walk



I've been on a training plan to walk the half marathon with Joy at the end of the month and yesterday my husband joined me on the 16K I had to do.  I plotted out a route on my walking paths map and our oldest son drove us out to the starting point, from where we would walk home.  It was a gorgeous spring morning, as you can see!

It took us 3 hours 45 minutes to walk 16.4 km.  We had a packed lunch with us and stopped along the way to eat at a nice picnic spot and then at a cafe when we were almost done for a coffee (those two stops are not counted in the time).  I was a bit worried about stopping, that it would be hard to get up and walk again (Ingrid and I never stop when we walk) but actually it was a nice little rest and didn't seem to make it harder to go on at all.

The trails were challenging - a lot of ups and downs, muddy, uneven paths, and cobblestones.  The half marathon in Illinois will be flat and paved.  I honestly feel like the variation in trails is a lot healthier for my body and leaves me feeling less sore than walking on the monotony of paved roads/sidewalks.  The advantage to paved, however, is that you don't have to keep your eyes on your feet as much.  There's a Swiss Flag to everything, I guess...



3 comments:

Char said...

It sounds like you're right on top of your training. Only 5k short of your required length - won't be hard to do that on the day.

Kim said...

Aww, that sounds so nice to do with your husband!!!! :) And that half is pretty flat. Have you run it before?

Fran said...

So much fun! And nice that your husband went with you, more fun to do this together.

When I do a 10K walk with Bella I always make one stop to give her a cookie and some water, usually somewhere in nature. I don't stop my watch then. I have decided though that once she's back on her feet I will take time to make a coffee break on long walks, after all we are out there to have some fun.