Didn't have time to post yet this week, but on Tuesday I headed to the gym as usual for a tempo run on the treadmill and some weights. I did 3.8 km total in 25 minutes. The exciting thing was that when I came out of the building, there were big huge snowflakes falling, which was very pretty and also very wet! I was glad I had been able to stay indoors.
Today I had a 45 minute run with hills on the schedule, but since I had a meeting with Linda in the morning, I had to wait til this afternoon to do it. Luckily, the sun came out and although it is still quite cold (3°C) it was very cheery weather to run in. I had the sun in my face the whole way home after my turn around! The strange thing was that I felt like I was running really slow, but it turned out to take me just as long as last week, 45 minutes for 6 km. Maybe it's due to running after lunch when I normally run in the morning? I am definitely a morning person, always have much more energy then.
Here is another recipe for Lily, I made this earlier in the week when I just didn't have much in the house but needed to use up some sweet potatoes, and happened to have a package of soft tortillas in the cupboard, so I came up with this:
Sweet Potato Burritos/Chimichangas
2 T. chopped onion
1 red pepper, in small dice
2 sm sweet potatoes, peeled and in small dice
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped fine
1/2 t cumin
dash of cayenne pepper
dash of chilli powder (or more to taste)
1 T olive oil
2 T tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 can red or black beans, drained and rinsed
fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
8 soft tortillas, warmed
Heat olive oil in a skillet and sautee onion, red pepper, sweet potato, garlic, and spices over low heat until vegetables start to soften. Add tomato paste and water and simmer gently until potatoes are soft but not falling apart. Add beans and heat through. With a potato masher or the back of a large fork, gently mash about half of the mixture, stir well. Fill 8 tortillas with the filling, serve with rice, lettuce, grated carrots and salsa, or any other Mexican style fixings you have on hand. We were naughty and folded our burritos into square packets, secured them with a toothpick and fried them in oil on both sides to make chimichangas! Yum!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
I'm a morning person too and running then does not seem to be as much of an effort as it is in the evening! Although, for us runners in Alberta, running anytime this weekend could be an effort as our forecasted highs are -21C for Sat and -24C for Sun.
I LOVE sweet potato burritos. I used to eat at least two a week when i lived in CA. There was an indian burrito takeout joint that made all kinds of indian burritos like sweet potato, pumpkin, grilled veggies. They include in the burrito chick peas, rice and mango salsa. yum.
Thanks for the recipe; I will make it today! Have just made a nice (hot!) chipotle sauce which should go well with it!
YUMMY, thank you SO MUCH for all of these wonderful recipes! OH I just loved the carrot soup! I'm making more this weekend...
If you don't mind posting recipes...I really appreciate them!!
*hugs*
These sound AMAZING! I am bookmarking this post. This will be a good recipe for us to try in our vegan(ish) experiment.
Thanks so much for your encouraging comment on my new blog. I will put you on my blog roll, and I want to continue reading what you have to say.
I happen to have sweet potatoes - I bought bunches when on sale at Th'giving, so I'll just make tomorrow. Of course, I'm out of tortillas - have to make those from scratch, I guess!
Post a Comment