Thursday, March 26, 2009

The Princess and the Pea


What is it about the French that they are able to make the simplest things seem elegant? I was shopping last week in a supermarket that stocks a lot of products from France and came across the loveliest line of dried legumes in boxes that you have ever seen! Each box featured a bright color, a yummy looking dish (with recipe on the back), an energetic and fit looking French girl and the words "Vivez bien!" (live well). I restrained myself from not buying all five or six boxes of different beans, but chose the split peas, because the recipe looked yummy, comforting and simple:
Purée de Pois Cassés (Split Pea Puree)
225 g. dried split peas, well rinsed
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small potato, peeled and chopped
1/2 stock cube
water to cover
salt and pepper
Put the vegetables in a medium saucepan with the stock cube and water to cover. Bring to a boil and then gently simmer until the peas are tender, about an hour. Add additional water as needed. When the peas are tender, season with salt and pepper, and puree with a plunger mixer or in a blender. Serve hot with fresh herbs.
It was very good - like a very thick version of split pea soup. Jenny and I were thinking you could probably start with some sauteed onion in your pan before you add the peas and veggies to cook, or perhaps some thyme...I actually threw a bay leaf in the pot while it was cooking to add a bit of flavor. It certainly is a healthy and low fat dish, but still elegant enough for a princess!
This princess is now back to a program for the Ladies Run on June 1. Yesterday I had a 40 minute run on my schedule, but had to do it on the treadmill at the gym due to rain/hail/sleet that I just could not bring myself to run in. Actually it had been a while since I had done a run on the treadmill and it was fun - I did the first 15 minutes at a pretty easy pace and then bumped it up for the last 25, ending up doing 6 km altogether. Tomorrow I have a tempo workout, which will also be at the gym, and weights afterwards.

1 comment:

J said...

I can't wait to give the recipe a try...thanks for writing it all down!