Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Taking Care

Yesterday was my cardio-resistance interval workout, and as usual, my right hip started aching after I finished the workout and was still aching when I got up today. I have had this hip pain for a long time, remember back in May when my doctor told me I probably had bursitis? I have just been living with this chronic pain ever since the first half marathon training program, sometimes taking anti-inflammatories, but mostly just hobbling around after runs or workouts.

One of the consequences of this has been that I cut way back on the distances I run, since the longer the run the more annoying the pain afterwards, or so it seems.

Today I had my bi-annual visit to my osteopath. I have been seeing her for several years now, ever since she was able to radically improve severe problems I had with my neck and shoulders. I go twice a year for a "tune up"! So today I was telling her about the supposed bursitis and she set to work on my hips, lower spine and tailbone. She must have done something to get the kinks out because since I left her office, I have been pain free! Boy, I wish I would have mentioned it to her sooner. In any case, I am very grateful and curious if there will be a difference after my next workout, tomorrow, which includes a 26 minute interval run.

3 comments:

Ruthie said...

oh so glad you went! :)
when I had all that back trouble a year ago my chiropractor said he worked on LOTS of runners :) that most serious runners find a visit to him really helped their running and kept them injury free :) ..

you might also look into a book and I think it has a dvd ... called ChiRunning... Josha (her link is on my side bar as 'running thoughts') has found some great improvement with her knees using the techniques this program recommends :) I am pretty sure its all about posture when you run and strengthening muscles etc to help keep you in alignment :)

happy you found a way to be pain free! :)

Fran said...

I hope that you stay pain-free. Great that she could help you and good luck on your run tomorrow.

Mrs Swan said...

THanks for the comment! :) That post took a lot to type up and I am still not sure I want my mother reading it. LOL