Friday, June 11, 2010

Feeling Groovy

Three New Rules workouts done this week! The workouts really get me sweating. I have been doing them all at home so far but have now reached the upper limits on the dumbbells I own and will start doing them at the gym next week. I kind of like being able to do the first few workouts at home, just to give me a chance to get used to how to do the exercises - and not have people think I am a big dork because I keep flipping through the book to read the explanations all the time!

I didn't run AT ALL this week - gasp! I actually think my right leg really benefitted from the time off, as it is gradually starting to feel more normal. Next week I plan to start adding the running (and other cardio) back in, first of all as a 15-20 minute warmup before the weight workouts. The week after that, if I am feeling good, I will add an interval run on a non-weightlifting day. And I have still kept my Sunday long easy run, of course, so actually I guess I did run, didn't I? Well, you know what I mean, right?

Hope you all have a great weekend! A lot of you have already started your summer vacation but we have our two oldest kids right in the middle of final exams and so they will be busy studying all weekend long...the last day of school is June 30 - can't wait!

9 comments:

Marcelle said...

Popping in to see how you doing.....off to watch the Soccer World cup opening now...all in South Africa...am so excited.

The last time I never ran for a week was my week in hospital....horrible, hated it.

Lori said...

I hauled that book with me to the gym and had more than one person ask me about it.


I would always try to practice the moves the night before so I wouldn't totally embarrass myself, but that didn't work. The first time I did a push press, I hit myself in the chin with the bar. I am not sure if anyone saw it, but I felt rather silly.

The first section of NROLW really seems to go on forever, you will be glad to change it up in another couple weeks.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

I want to read that book! I love how committed you are to a well-rounded exercise program.

Ewa said...

I was following the program from this book last year. I got a very small notebook and listed the exercises I needed to do at the gym (I cannot do lat pulldown at home).
This was a very good program for some strenuous backpacking in the Sierras.

Fran said...

Sounds like a good plan your workout plan! I alway make copies of the exercises from the Matt Roberts books and bring it to the gym. I don't care what people think, I'm there for me.

Well I finally bought my first protein powder :lol: going to try it tomorrow after my run.

Summer vacation is only 6 weeks here and divided over 3 regions so it won't be all that busy for 6 weeks. In my village summer vacation starts July 5th so kids have 3 more weeks to go here.

Joy said...

Amy, so proud of you for this! You're amazing! When you start something new, you always follow through, even when it gets tough.

Giorgio said...

I hope you will have nice training sessions soon!
Best wishes for the final exams of your two oldest kids :)

Kim said...

I am happy to hear your leg is feeling better! Sometimes, you just need a bit of rest ;)

Anne said...

Such awesome determination...good for you! Sounds like it's doing you a lot of good.