Tuesday, June 8, 2010

New Week with New Rules!

Have you ever done one of those resistance training programs that seems deceptively simple while you're doing it but later has you groaning at the slightest normal daily movement? Well, New Rules of Lifting for Women is definitely one of those programs! I did my second workout yesterday (started with the first one last Thursday) and today I am really feeling it! Yesterday's workout was deadlifts, shoulder presses, lat pullovers, lunges, and swiss ball crunches. That doesn't seem too terrible, does it? Then why am I so sore???

For the first 8 weeks you alternate between two full body workouts, working out three days a week. You aren't really encouraged to do much additional cardio while doing this program and after asking Lori what she thought (Lori being an experienced NRLFWer with helpful videos of some of the exercise on her blog), I decided to cut back on my running for the first week or two, and see how that goes. I am still doing my usual biking and walking and a long run on Sunday.

The harder part for me on these kind of programs is the nutrition. Trying to get the amount of protein this particular plan recommends in on a vegan diet is complicated, not so much that it is hard to get enough protein, but because most vegan protein sources are also either high in fat (nuts, tofu, soymilk) or high in carbs (beans, whole grains), so it's not so cut and dried as picking a portion of carbs and a portion of protein. But I am going to do the best I can - and may use some eggs or salmon from time to time. Most important to me is to continue to eat whole foods and lots of fruits and veggies!

So, my fitness goals for the next 12 weeks are:
  • get stronger
  • lose some weight
  • improve my shape ( = fit into my clothes better or need to buy new clothes!)
  • be ready for half marathon training in September (= keep running but don't get injured!)

I'll keep you posted on how I do on these goals - wish me luck!

10 comments:

Marcelle said...

Great plan you have in store for yourself the next 12 weeks.

Bert said...

I like the plan - those are goals most of us can strive for! Good luck!

Lori said...

Would you consider a vegan protein powder like brown rice, hemp, pea, or soy?
That can help you out a lot.

Patsy said...

Good luck with this - I have NROL4W and think it's excellent - just waiting for the tendonitis to go completely so I can back to lifting again!

I also have a similar dilemma - trying to eat low carb/high GOOD protein on a veggie/vegan diet... I'm not good at cooking and struggle to find simple ideas...

J said...

Good luck on your summer training! It is always fun to switch gears for a little while. I find it very helpful to use a computer program or iPod app to calculate my food intake (there are a lot of good free ones out there). It helps me make sure I am getting enough of the right nutrients without going over or under my calorie goal. It seems a little tedious at first, but I think it is really worth it!

Liz said...

Good luck! Look forward to reading how you get on.

Fran said...

Of course I'll wish you luck but I'm sure you are going to do great. I look forward to your experience with the program but I'm sure you'll keep us posted.

Anne said...

Good luck with the new plan and for sure, you must keep us posted!

ajh said...

Good luck! You sound ready to meet those goals.

Kim said...

Good luck! I love starting new programs! You feel all sore, in a good way!