Thursday, December 16, 2010

Treacherous Ice


Treacherous...yes, indeed, it is...
We woke up this morning to what looked like clear streets and sidewalks but very quickly realized, walking to school, that the pavements were covered with "black ice" - and the ambulence sirens in the distance and the bikers falling all around us confirmed that the situation was treacherous. Felix and I made it to school on foot without falling in spite of a few slips and slides, I was hoping that Florian and Gillis made it to their school safely and made it home again at lunch...
At lunch they both came in with stories of falling on their bikes, luckily neither one was seriously hurt and they are now both upstairs studying away for tomorrow's exams. Phew. Right now it's pouring down rain. Weather forecast is predicting more snow and ice for the next few days - I sure do hope our flight on Wednesday will make it out of here!
Since I wanted to avoid being on the icy roads as much as possible, I did a really good yoga workout at home with Yogatoday.com - now it's time to go get Felix - hope I don't slip and fall!!!
PS: A recipe I submitted made it to this blog!

5 comments:

Ewa said...

Be careful out there.
I ran quite a bit in Poland in ice and snow and learned that strangely enough walking was more treacherous than running. As soon as I finished my run and started walking I would also start slipping.
Have a safe flight.

Lori said...

Black ice is scary, especially when you are driving at night!

Fran said...

Be careful Amy!

I went out for a run yesterday and it was above 0 but still some parts of the road were icy which surprised me.

I keep my fingers crossed you can leave tomorrow. Have a safe trip my friend.

Char said...

It's times like these that you need to wrap yourself up in bubble wrap.

Karen said...

Cant imagine what it would be like to run in snow and ice. I have only ever seen snow once. I smiled when I saw your photos of your new tanks and running skirt. I bought the exact same ones and ran in them 2 weeks ago in 105f. SOOO hot a day but the tank and skirt was great to run in.