Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 13: Neck and Shoulder Openers

Wow - almost two weeks of daily yoga under my belt! Today's class: Day 13: Neck and Shoulder Openers, was a very easy and very relaxing 20 minutes of gentle arm stretches to loosen up shoulders and neck. It felt good and it was one of those classes where you really don't even have to change out of your normal clothes. Just sit on a chair and follow along! I think it would be really great to do if you have been sitting behind the computer for far too long (and who hasn't done that?)

Other than that, I am busy planning my new running schedule - we are signing up for a 10K on March 20, which means 8 weeks to ramp back up. I am going to use the Jenny Hadfield "Fast 10K" program my sister sent me several years ago from a magazine, and which I successfully used for a couple of 11K races I did. The program calls for three runs per week - a long slow endurance run, a fartlek, and a speed workout (mainly intervals with a couple of negative splits thrown in). I am going to keep 2-3 days of yoga, add one day of cross training on the elliptical and include two days of weightlifting, which I have actually missed the last two weeks. But it was good to have a little break...

Have a nice weekend!

4 comments:

ajh said...

It sounds like you will be a very well rounded athlete!

Kim said...

That sounds like a good 10K plan! That is the sort of set up I like - 3x running, strength, yoga and a bit of cross training.

Fran said...

You will do great on the 10K program. I'll get back to you tomorrow on your email.

I read the Dutch issue of Runner's World. If it's not too much trouble I would be very thankful if you would mail me the issue you've mentioned.

Anonymous said...

No relaxing runs in the program? It means that you will run a very fast 10 km.
Enjoy your yoga sessions.