Saturday, January 1, 2011

Last Race of 2010!


Mom, Christy, Stefaan, Florian and I headed over to downtown Fort Worth yesterday afternoon to participate in the New Year's Eve 5K run along the Trinity River. We were all excited because not only would it be our last race of the year, it was also my oldest son Florian's first race ever!
Luckily Grandma is a seasoned racer and could help him with his bib!




It was a beautiful day, sunny and bright, but there was a lot of wind and it was getting cold while we waited for the race to start at 4:30. I was so glad when we could finally start running and get warmed up. Florian and Stefaan pulled ahead of me pretty quickly. The race was an out and back on a trail along the river, so pretty quickly we got to see the leaders coming back.

There was no chip timing. Stefaan came in in 25:xx, Florian in 26:xx, I finished in 30:11 on my Garmin (which froze up on me this morning and I had to reset and lost all my data so I can't show you a map of the run).

Mom ended up coming in 38:38 and winning first place in her age group and Christy came in in 42 minutes. We were all glad we did it - it was a fun, small race, and they had great snacks afterwards (even packaged Lotus sugar waffles from Belgium - they must have known we were coming)!

12 comments:

ajh said...

Sounds like a great time and great way to end the year.

Ewa said...

Happy New Year and what a cool way to end the old one. At first I misunderstood that your Garmin froze because of cold and begun to wonder how cold did it get in TX.

Char said...

So much fun to race with your family. Stefaan did great in his first race. I hope he enjoyed it.

Pat said...

How awesome you were able to run your last race of 2010 with your family, especially your son's first race!

Alexandra said...

What a fine way to end your year! What more could you ask for then a fun run with family!

Fran said...

What a cool family event to end the year. Great pics!

Happy New Year Amy, may some of your dreams come true in 2011.

Anonymous said...

Almost an .. Army! Congrats to all of you. It is wonderful to race all together with your family.
Beautiful pictures.
Happy new (running) year.

Anonymous said...

My aunt and cousin live in Belgium...it's a beautiful place. And congratulations to you for being so healthy!

weightloss said...

Wow what a great way to stay fit!

I have recently lost 38 pounds when I started doing the kettlebell exercises, it really made a difference. I got all the information from
http://shrinkingtheplanet.com/weighless/?cat=67

this site has a lot of great workouts to do. Good Luck!

Chrissy said...

Happy New Year!! Congrats on your race!
I'm finding it difficult to keep fit and stay fabulous and found a great book that some may really enjoy called, 40+ and Fabulous: Moving Forward Fierce, Focused, and Full of Life! by Sondra Wright. Throughout the book you laugh, and experience everything that all these different people have experienced. I loved it. And hope you do too! I just have to share!
Keep doing well.

Giorgio said...

Great family event, Amy :)
May you have a wonderful new year!

Kim said...

Yay! I love races with family! And what a great way to end the year!