Thursday, January 13, 2011

Yoga Day 4

I really enjoyed today's yoga challenge sequence, a half hour with all standing poses! This is where one of my "shortcomings" - short legs - is a plus: I can always reach the floor with my hands and I feel pretty stable in most of the poses. Bring on the reverse triangle pose! I have done other videos with the teacher of this segment, Jason Crandall, and I feel like he explains what you are supposed to be doing very clearly. It was one of the first segments where I wasn't craning my neck trying to see on my laptop screen what I was supposed to be doing.

After three full days on the Cinch detox, I moved into the regular program today. I lost three pounds of weight (probably a lot of it water due to cutting out starchy carbs for three days) and I feel lighter and calmer. Limiting food choices for a few days helps to kind of shut off that mode we get in during the holidays of thinking we need to have a taste of everything around us and the constant grazing; but at the same time, I personally wouldn't do it for much longer than a few days because then I tend to get a rebound effect of getting so tired of eating the same thing that I start having strong cravings for junky food. And that's not good! So three days was the magic number for me.

The regular program is very similar to how I eat on a normal day. The four meals consist of a whole grain carb, a protein, a fruit or two veg, and a plant-based fat, which is how I tend to put my meals together as well. You are also supposed to eat a small serving of dark chocolate each day - love that! The big change for me is the very well defined small portions. I normally eat three "normal" sized meals and two small snacks each day; this plan calls for four small meals, period. So my three main meals feel smaller and my afternoon snack, which is now a "meal", feels huge! I am curious to see how this feels for the next few days. I do think that when I return to the gym next week and start working out with weights and having longer runs, I might need to add a small post-workout snack. But for right now it's fine.

2 comments:

Fran said...

I admire you that you can do this Detox for a few days. Again nothing for me and I couldn't and don't want to do it.

The yoga challenge sounds really fun.

ajh said...

Amy,
I never heard of the backwards pjs things until a few years ago on Facebook. I'll try anything!
Andrea