Monday, March 21, 2011

Good Times in Dendermonde

Chip time 58:47! Not quite a 10K PR, as I was actually slightly faster in Mechelen in September, but I was super pleased to have been able to get out there and nail a 6 minute pace again - this means I have been successful keeping my fitness level up in spite of the cold winter and lots of treadmill running. I also improved my time on this course by about three minutes over last year!

We really enjoyed the race again, it was extremely well organized with great facilites (no long lines to wait for the ladies room), a positive atmosphere (we met some friendly fellow runners) and a pleasant course. They even made some improvments in the course over last year and eliminated a couple of narrow spots - although there were still a couple of bottlenecks that did slow us down: one was over a narrow foot bridge and another on that short stretch along the Dender River where they split the path into an out and back - that got very congested and was a pain to slog through.


Finally, when we were standing in line to pick up our bibs, we noticed the President of Flanders, Kris Peeters, was also lined up to pick up his bib for the 10K - it's always fun to know you are running with a celebrity! He of course got to start at the front of the pack - maybe that's why I was able to run so fast - trying to catch up with him ;-)



And last but not least, we couldn't have asked for better weather - it was a perfect day for racing and good times in Dendermonde!

14 comments:

Fran said...

Congratulations Amy! What a fantastic time, you are way too fast for me on the 10K :) Hope I can keep up with you in October :)

Funny that your president was running that race too.

Enjoy the first day of Spring, we sure couldn't ask for better weather to start it.

Char said...

Well done on your time!

We often have politicians running in local events. I'm way faster than our State's Premier, Anna Bligh but have a way to go to catch the Mayor of Brisbane.

Ewa said...

Chasing this guy would make me fast too. :)
Congrats on a good run.
Wait, no long lines to the ladies room? Now that IS a well organized race.
Have a great first week of spring.

Lori said...

Great job Amy! The most important thing is that you enjoyed the race, that makes it really worth it.

Liz said...

Great time, well done!

ajh said...

Sounds like a great race. Congrats.
The podcast I was listening to was
Running with the Pack.

Do you have some podcasts to recommend? I have other favorites that are not running. I also like Brandon's Marathon for running.

ajh said...

And yes, that is one good looking politician. I know there are many people who don't like Bill Clinton (I am not one of them). He spoke at Emily's college graduation and he is one fine looking man and one heck of a speaker too.

Anne said...

Congrats Amy! That is a great pace!

BTW Amy, please switch to follow my new blog and delete the old one. There are serious problems with it. Here's the new link :)

http://www.anne-asthmaandthegiftofrunning.blogspot.com/

Marcelle said...

NO WAYS!!!!!!! that is a fantastic time for a 10km...I'm about 15 mins behind you ( Trail run )
The mayor is a very good looking man!! wow he sure would motivate me to up my time....hehehe

Thanks for the comment in my blog earlier....I don't stress about the weight anymore as I know I am doing the right thing!

Anonymous said...

The perfect situation to run a good race. Under the 6km is fast, congrats!
... and 2 celebrities together, you and the president!
Enjoy this spring time.

Johann said...

Well done Amy! Super to go sub 01:00! It's great to know you are in good shape after the winter, but you did put in lots of hard work. Congratulations!

Kim said...

Awesome awesome time! WOW! Congrats!

And am I the only one who things the Prez is kind of cute? :)

Giorgio said...

Congrats for your great race!

Darlene said...

Congrats - that's a great time. I have yet to run a 10K.