Thursday, February 2, 2012

Taps

PANIC! We woke up to no water coming out of any of our taps this morning. This is a disaster when you have a 17-year-old who has to get ready for school, not to mention the vital need for coffee when facing these domestic surprises...  And it also completely threw my day off - first the guy from the local water company had to come and see that it wasn't a problem with the water not coming into the house, and once he determined that that was not the problem, we had to phone the plumbers to see when they could come out to see what was going with our pipes.

Thankfully, my husband was home to take charge for once - what a relief!  And the plumber came just before lunch, and told us that most likely we had a frozen spot somewhere (we had extremely cold temperatures last night - I should know, I was out to the theater with Linda and it was awful coming home on our bikes), and so my husband got to crawl into the attic and heat up some pipes with a hair dryer (boy, did he earn major brownie points today).

We were just having a lame cup of instant soup for lunch and feeling rather desperate when the kitchen tap started to dribble and then the water came back in a gush - YAY! 

Conclusion of the day: with all the upheaval I never managed to get to the gym, but I got all my nervous energy out on cleaning once the water came back.  You never realize how great it is to have hot and cold running water at your fingertips until it's been taken away from you for half a day - so that even cleaning feels like a privilege!

14 comments:

Karena said...

You were out on your bike last night??? I am amazed! My husband is still taking his back and forth to work, but I've decided this weather has gone past my limits. Kudos to you :)

Anonymous said...

The same happened here, this morning we didn't have warm water because of the ice! You are right: panic!
But .... my office is only 5 minutes far from here and I solved there my problems.

Cindy said...

Brrr, I saw the temp on the side bar. You are cold.

Mark said...

Lost our water a couple months ago during a landscaping accident (fortunately it wasn't out long).

Good thing there were no burst pipes, that could have been a real mess.

Liz said...

Cold weather is bad enough without losing hot water as well. Hope it doesn't happen again!

Kim said...

What a nightmare! Your husband should get major brownie points for that!!! I am happy the water came back at lunch :)

Karin said...

Glad to hear you have the water back on line. Good thing it wasn't a broken pipe.
Stay warm, and have a great weekend.

ajh said...

Hate hate hate not having water! Glad you got yours back.

Diane, Fit to the Finish said...

Boy it must have been cold if the pipes in your attic froze. Wow. And I too caught that you biked home in that weather. I would have frozen! Glad your water came back on!

Fran said...

Oh Amy that's such a nightmare. We had no water a couple of months ago but that wasn't our fault. R. has closed down every tap outside so it won't freeze.

At least you had heat, something we desperately need in this weather.

Liz said...

By the way, the website Pete used to make the book of my blog was called blurb.com.

Char said...

You're so lucky that your husband was home. Mine's always at work when disaster strikes.

Char said...

You're so lucky that your husband was home. Mine's always at work when disaster strikes.

Amy said...

Char, I know! Mine is usually gone too - every time! By some lucky stroke, he was able to be here and handle it for me - thank God.