Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Hiking, Biking, Running...

My week got off to an active start.  On Monday I biked to the gym and did my usual workout (hill walk, upper body weights, elliptical, abs, stretch).  I did have to modify my weights because my arms were sore from climbing.  But I didn't mind because I still felt so pumped from having done it!  For those of you who mentioned fear of heights in the comments, I have to tell you that I also have a very strong fear of heights.  At the Eiffel Tower I have to stay up against the wall on the observation decks or I get totally freaked out.  Sears Tower made me feel like I was going to faint. 

My kids know this, so they told me not to look down when I was climbing.  And as long as I did that, and focused on moving to the next hold, I was fine.  I guess it helps that you are facing inwards and you don't really have to look down to do what you need to do.  But then I wanted to see where they were and did look down - mistake!  Then I was scared and had them lower me down...  I do want to get over it if I can ( see * below for why), so I will definitely be going back.

Yesterday we went for a short run in the morning (my husband is on vacation this week too) and then in the afternoon we took the boys for a hike in their new hiking shoes, to break them in.  It was gorgeous spring weather and we headed out to Heverlee Forest, south of our city:


I don't know if I mentioned it already, but we are doing all this climbing and hiking to get ready for this summer - we'll be in Colorado, Yellowstone, and the Black Hills in South Dakota and plan to have an active vacation* - almost a requirement with three active teenage boys!

*I already booked a half day rock climbing course for all of us in Custer SD...

6 comments:

Fran said...

That's going to be a great vacation Amy!

And you're brave not to let the fear of heights get to you and you did climb.

Last time I was high in the sky was in the Millennium wheel in London and my collegeau said too I shouldn't watch down. Of course I did at one point and after that the fun was over :)

Kim said...

Ooo, that is going to be an awesome summer trip! And I did not realize you were afraid of heights. Kudos for you for giving climbing a try despite that! :)

Char said...

Knowing that you're scared of heights makes the climbing even more impressive.

Your holiday sounds like it's going to be amazing. One of those truly memorable ones for your entire family.

ajh said...

That sounds like an awesome vacation! Your boys will love it. Will you see your family?

Amy said...

Yes! We are going to see the entire family!

Liz said...

Wow, that's great that you climbed in spite of a fear of heights. What a great-sounding holiday you have planned!