Friday, September 14, 2012

At the Orchid Show

My friend Catherine and I went to the annual International Orchid Show at our city's botanical garden today - in honor of her birthday - but also because we both really love orchids!  It was difficult to get good pictures with the lighting (and my bad camera) but here are some impressions:


 I didn't realize you could hang certain kinds of orchids up on the wall without any dirt or pot to speak of!  Some of them were absolutely gorgeous...




I also learned the key to getting them to bloom is warmth during the day, but much chillier at night.  Which is probably why they do pretty well in my kitchen, as it does get chilly in there at night with the high ceiling...

Also important is NOT to water them too much, their roots hate being wet.  I only water mine once a month and that seems to keep them happy.  The one thing I do think I need to do is repot them, but that is one of those tasks that I just keep putting off.


After a hot bowl of soup for lunch at Catherine's favorite place (de Zonnekompas, a very friendly and cozy "book cafe", just my kind of place!) we headed home on our bikes.  It was pretty chilly and windy out today - it really felt like fall!

5 comments:

Lori said...

How cool! I have wanted to try orchids, but we keep our house to cold in the winter for them.

Char said...

Orchids are beautiful flowers and I thought they were pretty hard to grow. You must have an exceptionally green thumb.

Giorgio said...

I could try orchids considering the weather isn't too cold in Winter here in central Italy.
Have a nice weekend!

ajh said...

This is not my cup of tea but glad you had fun.

Fran said...

You look great Amy.

I've got an orchid in my house since a couple of months and surprisingly it does it very well. Still blooming. I give it water once a week by taking it out of the pot and put it on a dish with some water.