Saturday, September 29, 2012

My new toy!

I have always wanted a food processor, and last week when my Kitchen Aid pooped out on me and I saw this Bosch on promotion in a folder from a local store, I decided it was a sign that it was time for me to finally get one.

So I brought it home with me this morning and I am in love!  Just the ability to grate veggies so easily is going to be wonderful, not to mention making all kinds of things I just couldn't manage with my immersion blender (like Larabar type nut and dried fruit treats - can't wait to make those!)

So after my son tried making fresh orange juice with the citrus press, I decided to make a chopped red beet and carrot salad inspired by my Mark Bittman vegetarian cookbook - it was so simple, and wonderfully delicious.  And it took all of about two minutes to pull together.  Sure beets all that grating by hand I've been doing all these years...(har har)  If you have a food processor, I highly recommend it!

Chopped Red Beet and Carrot Salad with Ginger

In a medium serving bowl, whisk together 1 T olive oil, 2 T lemon or lime juice, and a dash of salt and pepper.  Set aside.  Then get your hands on:

1 med red beet, peeled and cut into chunks
2 med carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
1 T peeled and chopped ginger

With the metal blade attachment, pulse the beets, carrots and ginger together in the food processor until they are coarsely chopped (the largest pieces left should be about the size of raisins).  Tip the chopped veggies into the bowl with the dressing and stir well. 

Yum!...and with winter round the corner we can all do with all the antioxidants, vitamins and minerals in this salad, not to mention the germ-fighting and immune-enhancing qualities of the ginger.

And what's for dinner tonight?  Linguine with a vegan spinach-basil-walnut pesto...made in the food processor of course - LOL!

Can you tell I am having fun with my new toy? ;-)



5 comments:

Char said...

You sound as in love with your new baby as my sister does with her Thermomix. It's a little like a food processor but it weighs and cooks as well. She made us a 3sec coleslaw last Wednesday.

The beet and carrot salad sounds lovely. If only I had a food processor to make it with.

katie@thecarbmonster said...

Oh that is purtay! Lots of wonderful foods will be whipped up in there :)

ajh said...

Sounds great. Isn't it fun to get something we want? ANd it sounds like you will use it a lot.

Kim said...

You tease! We need pics of the salad and the recipe for the vegan spinach-basil-walnut pesto!

I attended a vegan cheese demo this weekend and the lady made a ricotta-esque cheese in the blender and then seasoned it and stuffed in to pasta shells! I want to try it! :)

ajh said...

I came to answer your questions and see even more beautiful pictures. The book was Place Last Seen by Charlotte Freeman. It was about a family on a hike and their little girl with Downs Syndrome went missing. It was all about the search and the family, I knew it was fiction but I can't stop thinking about the girl alone in the woods wondering where her loved ones were and all of that.