I think I mentioned awhile back that I was trying some Hannah Somatics type exercises to deal with my hip and low back pain. I only experimented with what I could find on the web (which was actually quite a lot) from Martha Peterson of Essential Somatics (if you search for Essential Somatics on YouTube you will get videos of the exercises I have been trying). They've been helping and I've even used the exercises as part of my cool down since I've gotten back to the gym (nothing heavy, just treadmill walking, upper body weights and the elliptical!).
Anyhow, she just posted this very enlightening explanation about how chronic pain, including hip pain, is connected to computer use: http://essentialsomatics.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/computer-work-is-it-causing-your-hip-pain/, so I thought I would share. Just in case there is anyone out there who (like me) sometimes spends a bit too much time with my hand on my computer mouse and sitting in the same position behind my laptop... I have been very consciously trying to reduce that, and I notice it makes a big difference.
So...it's time to get off the computer! I am making Indian food for lunch and then we are off to a nature walk being held at an abbey and our kids' school today - and it's going to be a gorgeous fall day, so I can't wait!
Hope you have a very happy Sunday!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I've always thought about the relationship between computer use and low back pain. Being in the same position may be dangerous! Thanks for sharing Martha Peterson's explanation about hip pain and computer use.
Enjoy this fall Sunday and the Indian food :)
My middle son spends 8 or more hours a day in front of a computer for work and often complains of back pain. I'll have to pass on your link.
I suffer of low back pain but in my case it is not pc fault.
However you are right, we have to spend less time in front of the pc but the problem is that I use it a lot to work.
Post a Comment