Friday, August 17, 2007

Green bowl of goodness

Today's workout was 40 minutes on the elliptical...I finally figured out how to start up a variable program on it, which made me feel quite pleased with myself! I was having a good time watching my progress from one little stack of flashing bars to the next one, and the time just flew by. I think next time I am going to do 45 minutes.

When I got home I had to bake some pound cakes for our street fair tomorrow. Once I got the cakes in the oven, I was busy putting things away and cleaning up the kitchen, and saw I had a beautiful zucchini and a one nice leek in the fridge, so I decided to make some healthy soup. Now I know in most places it's hot and definitely not soup weather, but here in Belgium, it is cool and windy, so it seemed like a great idea. Especially when I remembered I have Swiss chard in the garden! Here's how I made it:

Slice one large leek in rounds and sweat in a teaspoon of butter over low heat in a large saucepan. When softened, add a medium to large zucchini, coarsely chopped, and the chopped stems of 4-6 large leaves of Swiss chard. Coarsely chop the chard leaves and set them aside.

When the veggies are soft, add two cloves of garlic, sliced, a Knorr chicken bouillon square and about a quart and a half of hot water (I always add just boiled water from my kettle to my soups, it speeds things up), some black pepper and a pinch of nutmeg. Let simmer over low heat for about 20 minutes. Turn the heat off and throw in the chard leaves and about a teaspoon of lemon juice. Let it sit, covered, for about ten more minutes and then puree with an immersion mixer. Yum! Now that I think of it, this would probably make a good chilled soup too.

1 comment:

J said...

Yummy soup! I love to eat soup, even if it isn't cold and rainy Belgium weather.