Saturday has always been my rest day, and Sunday is reserved for longer runs. But right now I am maintaining my current fitness level and not working on building my distance up, so Stefaan and I did a 40 minute easy jog to the cemetary and back, which must have been a bit more than 4 km. Since the route is along a nice bike path, the kids biked with us and played at the playground while waiting for us to catch up with them and do the two loops around the cemetary.
I finally sat down Friday, gathered all the information I have about training, and worked out my plan for the half marathon. I'm going to do a 16 week training plan, which will start on September 24. I basically took the training plan I used for the 11 K and extended it.
Mondays will be strength training, Tuesdays will be an easy run plus yoga, Wednesday will be strength training and swimming, Thursday will be speed workouts, Friday will be strength training plus cross training (probably on the elliptical), Saturday rest day, and Sunday long run, plus four or more hours later, gentle yoga for legs & back. The longest run I have planned will be 17 km, three weeks before race day. I also plan to run the 8K Leuven Corrida again this year on New Year's Eve, curious to see what effect this training program will have on my time!
I have been doing yoga for years but the idea for incorporating the yoga as an actual component into my training program comes from the latest issue of Runners World, where Uta Pippig (she won Boston, Berlin and NYC marathons!) recommends a gentle session four or more hours after your longest run doing poses that specifically work your legs, and then a second, harder session after an easier run targeting lower back and hips to prevent injuries. I will post the specific yoga poses in a future post - I need to get Light on Yoga out and mull it over!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment