Thursday, October 25, 2007

Did she or didn't she?

I did! I had a lot of inner debate going on, but at the end of the day, I decided just to do it, so instead of feeling lousy about NOT doing it, I would feel better that I did. I did my strength exercises right before we had to leave for the boys' badminton (which is when I swim), so that I would be kind of hot and sweaty already and the water wouldn't feel so cold. Then I made a deal with myself that if it was really cold and felt terrible, that I would only have to do 20 laps.

So I kept thinking, 20 laps, that's not so bad. And actually once I got in, the water didn't feel too cold (our neighborhood swimming pool is known as the coldest one in town!) - I think it was worse in my imagination! So I set out to do 20 (alternating 3 breaststroke and 1 crawl) and when I had done them, I had only been swimming for about 15 minutes, and I thought that was pretty dumb to go through the whole changing thing for only 15 minutes, so I decided just to keep going til I had done 25 minutes, which meant at the end I did a total of 28 laps and some pool walking. And I still had time to treat myself to a hot chocolate in the café before the boys were done with badminton!

Today, I got to the gym right about 9 am to do my speed workout, which was 6 times 2 minutes at a fast tempo, plus 2 minutes at a slower pace. My right hip was really sore, I don't know why (it still is) but it didn't seem to interfere with my running, so the workout was okay. My Mp3 player was actually more annoying as it is still skipping around on songs...what to do? But I managed to do 3.7 km in 25 minutes even while fiddling around with it trying to get it to play some music!

Tonight we have the last workshop in the October series...but we are already busy planning for the one in November, which is only three weeks away! Time sure flies by...

2 comments:

Mark said...

Glad to see that you made the right choice. This is the kind of discipline and mental toughness that will get you through the half marathon if you hit any bad patches where you want to quit.

J said...

I was so glad to hear you did your workout yesterday! Way to keep promises to yourself!