Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Jack Frost has arrived!

Congratulations to Nancy for finishing her first half marathon in 2:59:31! That is a great accomplishment and very inspiring for all of us who still have to face those 13 miles for the very first time!

Here in Belgium, winter has started - the grass was covered with frost this morning and we definitely needed our heavy coats, hats, scarves, and gloves on the bike. I had to do 40 minutes of running, and it was tough at first to get going in the cold! Thankfully it was clear and sunny which certainly helped, but my legs felt like stumps and I had a hard time getting into a rhythm. But I just kept on plugging along and ended up doing 5.84 km:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/belgium/leuven/669122107

In spite of the fact that I didn't manage to post yesterday, I did get my strength workout in later in the day, and I was so glad I did. Not because I love it so much (I don't!), but because it is so important to keep promises to ourselves. I was thinking about it as I was running today: keeping my promise yesterday to do the strength workout made me feel better about myself and made it easier to keep my promise to run this morning. It really does have a cumulative effect!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

Oh thank you so much!! And Jack Frost arrived here this morning as well. Isn't it amazing how far away we are but he came on the same day!?

Great job keeping those promises...

J said...

Good for you on getting your strength workout in (I was wondering)! And also, great job runnning in the cold. For me, that is even more daunting than running in the heat.