At my gym they were handing out free copies of Runner's World Beginner's Running Guide (in Dutch), and I picked one up, and even though I know I need to stop thinking of myself as a "beginner", it is still useful to think with a "beginner's mind" every now and then. The guide had lots of useful tips...and one of them was to run your usual route in a different direction.
So this morning when I started out for my 45 minute run, I went in the other direction than I normally would. I also decided to listen to the whole "30:00" music by DJ Bobby Ewing (you can still download the music here: http://www.leuven.be/showpage.asp?iPageID=7318), which I hadn't yet listened to for doing one of my runs. It's really cool instrumental music that has a nice easy tempo. So everything felt new and different! The other thing is that I needed to run a much bigger loop than usual to get 45 minutes in.
I ended up doing 6.4 km for the 45 minutes, which included (on purpose) some steep hilly parts. It felt good to get out, and even though I have a ton of things to do today and was feeling kind of freaked out earlier this morning, I knew that skipping my run would only make me feel more stressed out, not less. So now I am home and showered and ready to tackle all the stuff on my list! Once I finish this blog, that is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
That sounds like a lovely run!
I'm glad I read your post today, sometimes we just have to get out and do it!
Nice too that you were looking at it from a different direction, and with the "new runner" mind set, that helps sometimes!
Glad to see you out there! I love your new program! That's funny that you ran the other way today, because that is what I did too. I promise I didn't copy on purpose, you must have sent me a signal or something!
I totally agree, sometimes we forget some of the early stuff. I am going back to my books alot.
Sounds like you had a fun run at the lake in the snow too. You are doing so well!! Keep it up!
I did that recently - took a left instead of a right - and it is so refreshing. Good for you for getting that run in and THEN tackling what you needed to. Sometimes a run will give us just enough inertia to get us through our "to do" lists.
Post a Comment