Friday, December 5, 2008

Unexpected Fun on Friday


Felt sluggish this morning and didn't really feel like going to the gym but dragged myself over there (I just paid for my membership, remember?) and when I got there I was glad I had gone: not only were they passing out cookies, chocolate and clementines for Sint Niklaas (which is tomorrow), there was also a film crew filming an episode for a Flemish soap opera, "Thuis"! I don't watch this show, so I had no clue who the actors were but it was fun to watch what they were doing. Plenty of entertainment to keep me busy while I did my cross training and weights!
Now I'm off to get some things (chocolate, cookies, clementines and presents) ready for setting out tonight - they don't believe anymore but would be so disappointed if there were nothing in the morning!
And specially for Lily, who was hoping for some good vegetarian recipes, here is the one for the spicy carrot soup and another one for white bean walnut spread (both of which I had for lunch today)
Spicy Carrot Soup

1 onion, chopped
500 g. carrots, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2 T olive oil
1 liter vegetable stock
1/2 t curry powder
dash cayenne pepper
dash chilli powder
freshly ground black pepper

Sautee onion, carrot and garlic in olive oil about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, cayenne and chilli powder and sautee a further 2 or three minutes. Add stock, bring to a simmer and let gently cook, covered, about 30 minutes, until carrots are tender. Puree and season to taste with black pepper. Enjoy!
White Bean Walnut Spread
1 can cannelini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
2 T. olive oil
1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
handful of fresh parsley, coriander or other fresh herb
1 T. fresh lemon juice
salt and peper
Put everything in a small, deep bowl or blender, and puree until smooth.
I had the spread on rye bread, topped with fresh sprouts - which went really well with the soup.

6 comments:

Joy said...

Oh, Amy, I still love that picture so much!! Makes me a little misty. Thanks for the reminiscing, and the lovely recipes!

Lily on the Road said...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!

I truly appreciate any and all yummness....(is that a word)!

Cute photo too, I love the Old World Santa's...I paint them, so I will use your photo as a template.

Thanks again for the recipes.....

*hugs*

Alexandra said...

Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Your recipes sound delicious! Thank you for passing along the ingredients!

Amy said...

Joy, they were so cute (still are, just a lot bigger)! I just love the expression on Gaël's face.

PEANUT said...

can i borrow your zwarte peet photo for my blog soon? i want to write about the holiday at some point soon.

Amy said...

Sure! Should I email it to you?