September always feels like a fresh start - the boys headed back to school on Tuesday, their sports activities started up again, and we are back into our normal routine (well, almost!) I have had almost a week of "active rest" and have not been to the gym. Time for a fresh fitness start as well, then!
Since I will be heading to the California beach later this fall, I decided to follow the Matt Roberts "Beach Body program" from his book "Fitness for Life Manual". This program always seemed like a tough one to me, but now, having done Body for Life, it doesn't look so daunting anymore! It consists of three workouts a week, all including cardio intervals and weights, always alternating an upper body exercise with one for the lower body. He calls this peripheral heart action training and the idea is that this works the heart harder as it has to pump blood to muscles at both ends of the body. You also don't have to rest between the different exercises, which keeps your heart rate up throughout the workout.
I am going to go to Zumba class once a week and I am also going to keep running, the longer run on Sundays and then one short run during the week. I really want to run the Corrida again this year!
I'm going to give it a go and hope to further improve my fitness, strength, weight and well being!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
The peripheral heart (PHAT) training really gets your heartrate (and sweat rate!) going good. I've done some workouts on that style and they are tough! Good luck with your new program!
Our running program is the same. In October I will be running a short run on a weekday and a long one in winter. Till then I will keep running 3 times a week since I have a run by the end of the month.
Did you already tried Zumba? I still have to go but I promise: somewhere this month I will :)
I love September too: summer is over, back to normal routine and habits.
I'm glad you have a new program to try. We must always have a plan.
September seems like the time to start fresh and make resolutions more-so than January! I better get busy and start making mine!
Post a Comment