Friday, September 18, 2009

Zumba

Well, I didn't make the mistake this time of doing heavy lower body weights right before this class! I got in to the gym at 9 and did a circuit of upper body weights before Zumba started at 9:30. As always the class was quite full (but not as full as the classes in the evening, from what I hear). I always worry about bumping into someone! What a workout! The room is pretty cold, but by the first song I am sweating like crazy, and by the end, I feel like I have worked really hard. I also felt today like I am finally starting to get the hang of the steps.

I have to say, the feeling I have after the class reminds me of how I felt when I was taking Tai-chi: you are so focused on remembering the routine or following the steps, that you don't have time to think about anything else (like, what am I going to make for dinner, what do I have to pick up at the store, what time do I have to take the kids to piano, what are we doing this weekend, etc, etc, etc). To me it is like a kind of active meditation, and my mind feels like it took a little vacation for an hour!

4 comments:

Fran said...

Sounds like a great workout!

Have a nice weekend! We're going to have nice weather, maybe the last weekend this summer, so enjoy!

Mark said...

Glad you are liking your Zumba class!

J said...

Zumba sounds fun!

Alexandra said...

The Zumba! Are you training for "Dancing with the Stars?" What a wonderful way to find a mental escape!